Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pick up a .22 bolt youth sized rifle.
Looked (on line) at the Cricket, Savage and Henry.
Anyone have opinions/experience one way or another?
This will be for introducing a brand new shooter to the sport, so I'm trying to get something with some decent quality.
Thanks

·
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much.
I have a Marlin. Still a bit large for this wee one.
I think a real "youth sized" is what is going to work best in this case.

·
Still working on a screen name
6,642 Posts
I have a buddy who got one of those Crickets for his young daughter. Mainly because it's more designed for small framed youths.
At first he didn't think it was going to be that nice, and almost 'toy-ish'.
But after putting a bunch of rounds through it he was pretty impressed and had nothing but good things to say about it.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
Joe, The Cricket is a nice enough gun. Single Shot. Very safe for the young-uns. But I don't know if they offer a bigger stock as the kid grows. I'd stop by South Shore and converse with Stan about a gun that will grow with him.

Another option is the Ruger 10/.22. Yeah, it's an autoloader, but you can easily load only 1 or 2 rounds in the mag at a time. And with all the conversions going on, the original stocks are all over. Get a couple; treat them to the bandsaw and change them out as Junior grows. And we all know he'll be growing.

Also, I recently brought a Mossberg Bolt action 802 Plinkster from Robfather on this forum. I ended up putting a scope on it. We can also try working with that.

·
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.
I'm looking to make this a perfect fit as I don't want to add to any more difficulties to the introduction than this little guy is dealing with already.
There is nothing more frustrating than having a bad first experience.
I'm still leaning to a youth sized and when he grows, it can be used for other beginners of passed to someone else who can put it to good use.

·
Gunecologist
2,261 Posts
Henry mini bolt single shot youth gun.
Although expensive (msrp ($249.95) it will last a lifetime, and can be passed down for many generations.
Lifetime warranty and the BEST customer service in the industry.

·
I'm begging to be banned!
1,135 Posts
Having seen and handled the savage and the cricket I would go for the cricket. I believe they are made in PA the owner was a nice down to earth guy.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I know you said you wanted a bolt action, but a friend in PA bought a Henry lever action for his wife. I've shot it many times, and they have to take it away from me so others can shoot it! It's a little tack driver, and easy to load. It's that much fun!

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
I agree with the 10/22, and a choped stock idea. You can always get an aftermarket stock for it.
I started my boys out with a Savage MKII .22, then after a year or so they shot whatever....

·
Registered
663 Posts
convgto69 said:
Got a Ruger 22 youth model for my daughter. She loves it. Lightwieght for her as well.
+1 Mad Russian
+1 CITYREPO61

Alot of OPTIONS, will keep them intrested as you customize it to them!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.