Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is the the 82nd Airborne Division.....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/10/officials-investigate-missing-ammo-at-fort-bragg/?test=latestnews

Officials Investigate Missing Ammo at Fort Bragg

Published September 10, 2011 | Associated Press

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- Officials at Fort Bragg say an investigation is under way into the disappearance of nearly 14,000 rounds of ammunition at the Army base.

Staff Sgt. Joshua Ford, a spokesman for the 82nd Airborne Division, says the ammunition went missing from the 1st Brigade Combat Team at Fort Bragg.

The Fayetteville Observer reports that Ford believed the ammunition was taken overnight on Tuesday. The 1st Brigade team was placed on lockdown for a few hours Wednesday night while officials conducted a search.

The missing ammunition can be used in an M-4 or M-16 assault rifle.

Ford says the 82nd Airborne Division and military police are taking the matter seriously and that "any amount of ammunition that goes missing" has "got to be accounted for."

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
"I know I left my 14,000rds of ammo somewhere?? I bet they are with my car keys."

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Jake said:
Thats 14 .50cal cans, kind of hard to misplace in one go.
Given that this is .223 mil issue, I rather strongly suspect it's actually 16 or 17 .223 ammo cans, which are 840rds, at least for M2A1. Still hard to misplace in one go, well, I suspect they lose bigger things too.

·
Banned
237 Posts
This aint no joke one round missing and your done........

The proper term is 5.56 its is the higher pressure round used by the Military .223 is civilian crap.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Yep, a true snafu.   Levenworth is nice in the fall.

·
Banned
8,963 Posts
What was that WW2 novel about the German that pockets ammo to kill his CO? In the novel the thief was heroic in a slacker sort of way.

·
Registered
796 Posts
5.56mm stripper clipped
840 rds per M2A1 can
2 cans= 1,680 rds per wooden crate
8 crates= 13,440 rds

Not stolen, my guess from years of seeing things happen is either still at the ASP, or someone screwed up the Hand Reciept amounts, or delivered to a different range. happens all the time just this time made the news for some reason.

I once got a truckload of 60mm HE Mortar rounds instead of 12 cases of 5.56mm link for a range I was running. hour later some S-4 Butterbar comes up pale white asking If I have the mortar rounds

·
Banned
6,853 Posts
ahesse1488 said:
a 1000 rounds of 223 fit inside a single .50 cal ammo can?
yes, 1k LOOSE rounds will fit in ONE fat fifty.

You can pack 850rds of 7.62x39 into a fat fifty, comes to about 30lb, fwiw

1 - 15 of 15 Posts