Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I'm looking at a pair of rifles to purchase.
It appears he's selling a sporterized Arisaka Type 99 and a sporterized Krag for $150 each.
I'm waiting on photos, but going off the one that was sent to me they appear to be 7 or 8/10 condition. Have yet to see crown/bore etc.
Assuming the guns are solid, is it worth it? I've never dealt with either rifle, all I know is the ammo is pretty expensive.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
It really depends on you.
How will you use these rifles?
How much disposable income do you have (rhetorical)? Some people can spend $300 without batting an eye, some would have to sacrifice something in order to spend $300 on old rifles. Do you have $$ to spend on the very expensive ammo? (Ironically, I lost a ton of 7.7 Jap and 30-40 Crag ammo during superstorm Sandy). Do you reload? (There's a guy at Freeport that often shoots his 6.5 Arisaka and reloads his ammo.)

What shape are they in?
What caliber is the Arisaka, 6.5 or 7.7? Does it still have the mum on the top of the receiver or has it been ground off? Are the rifles able to be converted back to original easily or has the sporterization killed that?

I'm far from an expert, but I believe that sporterized MilSurp rifles have little value as far as collecting goes.

Lastly, when it comes to buying things like used firearms, I usually turn the question around - "Is it worth it to YOU?" Is it worth $300 for those two - if yes, BUY THEM.
I've paid much more for firearms than people thought I 'should' have paid - and don't regret any of my purchases. If I had the money and desire to own it at the time - that's good enough for me.

·
Clinger
4,810 Posts
IMO.....Because we aren't talking about a k98 that you grandfather brought back and sporterized...I see no reason to have milsurp rifles in other than milsurp configuration.... If you want to hunt get a bonafide hunting rifle in a hunting caliber.. If you don't reload .. they will be conversation pieces without the milsurp value very quickly ....

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
if they can be converted back, i would be interested. if the barrel has been cut down or a scope base was drilled, then i would pass on it. or just offer $75 each for the pair

but condition and quality of the sporterizing is everything. home done, worthless. but some were actually well done

·
Registered
109 Posts
Honestly, I'm looking for something to use as a project gun to practice stock refinishing with and to supplement my other guns when I go target shooting. I shoot maybe once every other month due to lack of time and financial strain, so right now $300 is pretty much my toy budget for the year. My friend might be grabbing the Ari so after everything's said and done I'm probably just gonna be getting the Krag for $150 plus transfer. As far as ammo goes I probably wouldn't be putting much through it, as I have other long guns that I can shoot all day that are cheaper to feed. I don't reload, but again even the mosin is hard pressed to see more than 100 rounds in a 6 month period. From the picture they look pretty solid, but again I'm waiting on more pics, just requested them from the seller. Really just looking to see if 150 for either is fair market for what they are. And I'm sorry for your loss, dan

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Krag is a sweet rifle, and $150 is worth it. Ammo though means you reload or spend $.
Neither rifle will be a big collector item.

Reactions: viper720

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Jump on the Krag immediately. It's a great rifle and thousands were sporterized by the NRA back in the 20's and 30's (as well as by everyone else in America).

Of course, it's gotta be in decent shape as far as the bore and action are concerned. (If you get it there's a Krag forum that's got a ton of info and the folks there will help you out identifying it. Plus the people on Gunboards are helpful, plentiful, and friendly.)

Ammo is expensive and sometimes a challenge to get. It's only produced during hunting season and be prepared to pay at least a buck or buck fifty a round. Do a google search 'cause I think only Remington and Horndy are the only two big bullet makers doing them, but there are other smaller guys out there that sell them.

I'd forget the Ari....and I'd disregard any comments made about keeping them in original condition.

I've got two Krags: one was sporterized by bubba but the bore and action were sound just the wood needed a complete redo. It's now a great looking gun.

The other one was sporterized by the NRA 90 years ago and while it doesn't have any collector value its a sweet shooter. They are great guns. First time I saw one was as a kid when we visited Teddy Roosevelt's home at Sagamore Hill....they were on the wall and just captivated me. Wanted one ever since.

I'd put a peep sight on it....Williams made em for Krags and you can find them on eBay.

If you're not interested in the Krag, let me know, by oldest son wants one now.

Reactions: viper720

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jump on the Krag immediately. It's a great rifle and thousands were sporterized by the NRA back in the 20's and 30's (as well as by everyone else in America).

Of course, it's gotta be in decent shape as far as the bore and action are concerned. (If you get it there's a Krag forum that's got a ton of info and the folks there will help you out identifying it. Plus the people on Gunboards are helpful, plentiful, and friendly.)

Ammo is expensive and sometimes a challenge to get. It's only produced during hunting season and be prepared to pay at least a buck or buck fifty a round. Do a google search 'cause I think only Remington and Horndy are the only two big bullet makers doing them, but there are other smaller guys out there that sell them.

I'd forget the Ari....and I'd disregard any comments made about keeping them in original condition.

I've got two Krags: one was sporterized by bubba but the bore and action were sound just the wood needed a complete redo. It's now a great looking gun.

The other one was sporterized by the NRA 90 years ago and while it doesn't have any collector value its a sweet shooter. They are great guns. First time I saw one was as a kid when we visited Teddy Roosevelt's home at Sagamore Hill....they were on the wall and just captivated me. Wanted one ever since.

I'd put a peep sight on it....Williams made em for Krags and you can find them on eBay.

If you're not interested in the Krag, let me know, by oldest son wants one now.
Thanks for the input. I'm probably gonna wind up getting it. If I decide not to keep it I'll let you know. It's certainly an interesting rifle to look at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.