Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help with tick identification here. Must have picked up this little bugger while doing yardwork today, luckily I felt him immediately start to bite and picked him off before he could latch on. After looking around, my best guess is a male Lone Star tick, but I'm not too sure. I didn't realize we even had Lone Star ticks here on LI.

Click the images below for a higher quality image.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Pulled two of the cat the other day. Also Had another drop in my lap while in bathroom taking a dump. I hate those things

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
If you've ever had "chiggers" on Long Island it was actually Lone Star Tick larvae under your skin.
Nasty, aggravating, and takes about 4 weeks to run its course. Not fun.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you've ever had "chiggers" on Long Island it was actually Lone Star Tick larvae under your skin.
No, but thanks for making me look that up. I was hoping not to sleep tonight. Is anyone else itchy?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Very true. We don't have actual chiggers on LI. They are Lone Star Tick larvae. You have to hit a whole nest of them to get "chiggers." [Footnote: those little red things are chiggers either].

Regardless, the tick in OP is not a Lone Star. It's a brown dog tick, which are becoming less and less common as their habitat wanes. You have a great high-res photo and can clearing see the distinguishing characteristics of that tick versus the Lone Star.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very true. We don't have actual chiggers on LI. They are Lone Star Tick larvae. You have to hit a whole nest of them to get "chiggers." [Footnote: those little red things are chiggers either].

Regardless, the tick in OP is not a Lone Star. It's a brown dog tick, which are becoming less and less common as their habitat wanes. You have a great high-res photo and can clearing see the distinguishing characteristics of that tick versus the Lone Star.
This is the image I used to identify it as a Lone Star male. What specifically do you think suggests brown dog tick instead?

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,030 Posts
Took a Lone Star female off my kid last week.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Lone stars have been around for a while, freeze the bastard if you come down with something they will test it. You definitely do not want tolaremiea ( probably mis-spelled) my daughter had it when she was 6 ish 1 week in the hospital , after 2 weeks back and forth to ped ( who was fired after that ) disease people, she was the second case on LI not fun after that you pull a tick off keep it for a month or two then get rid of it. Nasty little bugs.

·
Listen up,I don't dial 911.
3,599 Posts
my wife got bit and suffered for weeks with those nasty buggers. it was two weeks of misery for (both of us)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It is difficult to get a positive ID of a Tick from a picture of a critter in a plastic bag. Take it to CoOperative extension and get a positive ID.

The best way to collect ticks is on a piece of Scotch Magic Tape. Fold it over the tick but do not squash it. Or put it in a vial of alcohol.

·
Grand Poobah
21,170 Posts
I had ticks crawl right through Permethrin. Right up my pants that were treated.
It doesn't kill them instantly. Tests showed they walked about 10 inches.
You're also assuming that the problem was that it didn't work on ticks.
Perhaps you didn't soak your clothes correctly.
Perhaps it was past it's effective usage or wore off.
Perhaps you used the wrong kind.
The formulas for agriculture use, clothing and animals are different in how & what they bind too.
You could also have gotten a faulty or fraudulent mix.
There really is no debate that Permethrin works.
Other factors are more likely in why it "didn't work"

From tickinfo.com
http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm

Permethrin Tick Tests: Test on ticks conducted in Massachusetts concluded that 100% protection was provided against the Deer tick (Ixodes Scapularis) which is the primary vector of Lyme disease in the Midwest and Northeast. The same outstanding results occurred when testing the Western Black Legged tick, Lone Star tick, American Dog tick and Brown Dog tick. Similar results have been found with other tick species throughout the United States and Europe. Two detergent washings did not diminish repellent killing action of permethrin-treated uniforms. In tests, ticks that crossed only 10 inches of treated fabric fell from the uniform, later dying due to this limited exposure.

Snapshot -

Clothing treated with permethrin kills ticks as they travel across the fabric.

Proper permethrin clothing treatment requires 3 to 6 ounces to be applied.

Treatment will last from 2 to 6 weeks and withstand weekly detergent washing.

Permethrin works equally well on mosquitoes, chiggers and other arthropods.

·
Triple Distilled Unfiltered Truth
3,299 Posts
I've picked both deer and LS ticks off myself from Brookhaven.

If I ever picked up that alpha-gal allergy... My life would be over.

No mammalian meat... Might as well put a bullet in my head.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts