Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I bought a new Springfield M1A a couple months back. I chose the synthetic stock for a few reasons, less weight and impervious to weather being two of them. I still like the O.D. Stock and plan on keeping and using it but I really do love a nicely grained walnut stock. The stocks are a piece of cake to swap on/ off in seconds on the platform.

I've been looking online but it's a roll of the dice to buy them in most cases. Many are 60's M14 take offs which is fine but I want to be able to handle and visually inspect it. There are too many variables buying sight on seen online and don't want to chance getting one that isn't up to par.
Does anyone know a LGS on the Island that has a selection of the stocks I'm seeking? Thanks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I bought a new Walnut stock directly from Boyds a few months ago. Rolled the dice also as you said. A week later a large box came from Boyds. Opened it up and was extremely surprised at the gorgeous stock they sent me.

Definitely not a factory second. It is perfect with a beautiful grain. Nice black lines at the butt end. And the lockup to the action is very tight but is easily removed. I used the hardware from the original stock that came with the rifle.

Just another option for ya but is a good gamble in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great leads guys, thanks.
I was in Orion7 a couple times in the past two years and didn't see much at all for 14's. Maybe I'll give them another look as well as LRB and Boyd's. Springfield also makes a nice new walnut stock with all the metal attached( beneficial to me as the composite doesn't have buttplate) that looks real sweet that I've been seriously considering.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Just a sidebar...(I know you want something on LI) .... there are lots of guys who make the pilgrimage to Camp Perry Ohio every year just to wander up and down "vendor row " and the Northern CMP Store. One year I nearly had to take out a second mortgage on the house LOL. Came back loaded up with guns, ammo, and gadgets .... if it is shooting related there is a good chance some vendor dragged it out to the matches.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a sidebar...(I know you want something on LI) .... there are lots of guys who make the pilgrimage to Camp Perry Ohio every year just to wander up and down "vendor row " and the Northern CMP Store. One year I nearly had to take out a second mortgage on the house LOL. Came back loaded up with guns, ammo, and gadgets .... if it is shooting related there is a good chance some vendor dragged it out to the matches.
I read/ hear about Camp Perry all the time. Some guys shoot unbelievable scores with their M14/M16 variants. I would love to get there one year. The wife and I have been talking about flying there for a long weekend for the RR Hall of Fame and the Football Hall of Fame, perhaps we need to tack on a day or two to include Perry.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Let me say this, it is easily drivable in one day. With the cost of flying and time at airport I decided to drive. I did Nasssau county to Perry in 11 hours. Two drivers makes it easy. If you and the wife go, register for the pistol or rifle SAFS class and shoot one match. They lend you the firearms if you dont bring them. So 4 days gets you there and back and a little shooting gets done. If you have more time you can rent a cabin on site or there are tons of hotels close by. If you are into roller coasters Sandusky Ohio is right close. It is really a kick to experience Camp Perry. You might even get hooked !

Reactions: C6NY

·
Gunecologist
2,251 Posts
I bought a new Springfield M1A a couple months back. I chose the synthetic stock for a few reasons, less weight and impervious to weather being two of them. I still like the O.D. Stock and plan on keeping and using it but I really do love a nicely grained walnut stock. The stocks are a piece of cake to swap on/ off in seconds on the platform.

I've been looking online but it's a roll of the dice to buy them in most cases. Many are 60's M14 take offs which is fine but I want to be able to handle and visually inspect it. There are too many variables buying sight on seen online and don't want to chance getting one that isn't up to par.
Does anyone know a LGS on the Island that has a selection of the stocks I'm seeking? Thanks.
http://www.fredsm14stocks.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.