Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Used to catch them in shallow, 10'-15' of water doing beach dives at B-8th street in Far Rockaway.

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
In saltwater? Do you know the specific species?
Yes, salt water. If I recall they were 8" - 10" but no idea what sub species. We used to see sea horses there too. Mid to late September it wasn't uncommon to find many different kinds of immature tropicals over there. Something about the Gulf Stream moves close to LI and carries them up in the currents. It was cool to see colors and unfamiliar fish. There were usually a few guys with slurp guns capturing different examples. We were told they sold them to pet stores and salt water tank folks.

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
I'm an old recreational diver, others here have much more bottom time than I do. We have a few resident badass real divers on here who I'm sure would know more about it than I do. I'd try Aquabach or Joeydiver to start.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Yes, salt water. If I recall they were 8" - 10" but no idea what sub species. We used to see sea horses there too. Mid to late September it wasn't uncommon to find many different kinds of immature tropicals over there. Something about the Gulf Stream moves close to LI and carries them up in the currents. It was cool to see colors and unfamiliar fish. There were usually a few guys with slurp guns capturing different examples. We were told they sold them to pet stores and salt water tank folks.
As one who lived in Fla for a couple years I think you're thinking of needlefish. They are very gar like and will take bait and small lures.
They could easily get caught up in the Gulf Stream.

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
As one who lived in Fla for a couple years I think you're thinking of needlefish. They are very gar like and will take bait and small lures.
They could easily get caught up in the Gulf Stream.
Very possible, I was told they were Gars but I would not know the difference.

Reactions: C6NY
1 - 9 of 9 Posts