Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this past Sunday to Cedar Creek to plink some arrows, had a miserable time, shots went wide, high, awful groups!
I was even looking for a new bow thinking that would solve the problems.
Then I started reading, and reading, and reading. Came home, measured my draw length and discovered that I don't have gorilla arms, and that the bow being set for 30 inch draw was way off, I needed 28.5 inches.
Readjusted the bow, sights, and stacked three arrows on top of each other! Took aim at the little spots painted on the blocks and put three arrows literally an inch off the centers.
Tonight I am a happy camper!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Just trying to wrap my head around this...so do you have a recurve bow and wound up buying a shorter string for it for an optimal pull or draw or whatever you call it? Very interesting if that's how it works, I have an old recurve I inherited and need to check that.

·
Be vewwy qwuiet, I'm hunting Giwaffes...
5,932 Posts
Just trying to wrap my head around this...so do you have a recurve bow and wound up buying a shorter string for it for an optimal pull or draw or whatever you call it? Very interesting if that's how it works, I have an old recurve I inherited and need to check that.
Giraffe Food Giraffidae Photograph White

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Recurves and longbows you don't buy a shorter string to adjust your draw length , most recurves and longbows poundage is marked a 28" e.g. 55# @ 28"
Recurve and longbows gain or lose a avg. of 2 1/2 lbs. per inch so if you draw it 29" the poundage would be about 57 1/2 lbs. if you draw it 27"
it would be about 52 1/2 lbs.

Billstick

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Compound bow. You can't "adjust" a recurve bow the same way. A compound is adjusted for draw length and weight.
You draw the recurve until you reach your "optimal" hold, it's another science altogether.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Ah okay, so recurve bow string lengths are fixed, and power is basically determined by the overall bow strength and length of pull. Thanks for clarifying!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Only some compound bows are adjustable for draw lengths. The bows I bought for my children were adjustable. My son's Diamond Edge is adjustable, but my Elite Z28 is not.

Glad you dialed it in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts