Long Island Shooters Forum banner

LISC -- El Guapo's place to be...

3K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  IraqVet15T2F 
#1 ·
Jefes,

After consulting my santero, followed by relentless eating of a plethora of waffles in preparation for tomorrow's encounter with Evil at the freeport idpa match, yours truly decided that it was time for the beast to stretch out its legs. From Devine inspiration this servant of yours embarked in a journey to the Long Island Shooting Center. After Parking my burrito, I proceeded to make entrance to this fine establishment. I was welcomed with a smile and above all respect. I was explained what the rules of the range were a bit different since I was shooting the beast. Also costs went up a bit since the balas were nothing short of cannon balls. I obliged happily and paid my entry fee. After much destruction El Guapo came out of the range area. He was greeted by the Jefe Mike. yourstruly had a nice conversation with El Jefe and I must say I have not felt this comfortable in such setting in a while. I am now officially a fan of the LISC. I know some of your may have had other experiences and I respect your opinions, but after my visit today I have to say that the LISC deserves another visit.

:thumbs
4 sombreros:

See less See more
#3 ·
Not to be controversial or to disagree with the revered el guapo, but I would give the LISC only 1/2 (a half) sombrero at best on a good day. Way to many negative experiences with these folks and it hasn't changed much over time.

#4 ·
Its good to hear this news. :)

#5 ·
to each his own I guess

#7 ·
phoenix27 said:
Not to be controversial or to disagree with the revered el guapo, but I would give the LISC 1/2 sombrero at best on a good day. Way to many negative experiences with these folks and it hasn't changed much over time.
:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse I have had nothing but good experiences there since all the horror stories on here started.In the past I did but about 12-14 range visits this winter were all quite enjoyable with nice conversations with the staff

#8 ·
I'm happy that I'm reading anything other than slams. Things might be changing. Dunno.
As I stated here before, LISC is the closest shop to me by far and over the past many years, I have darkened their doorway many, many times. Some years back (last owners) I bought two expensive toys there.
The last time I ventured in was a couple of years ago and I walked back to my car muttering about how amazing it was that they could even stay in business, much less bring in new customers.
As an instructor and someone who has been quite active with introducing newbies to the sport, I am often the "maven" (aka - pain in the a**) that just tags along so the newbies first of all, don't feel like they are walking into unknown territory, and secondly, to offer humble advice and direction toward their very often, first purchase. But I'm a big fan of letting the guy behind the counter and whomever I drag in working it out on their own.
I do not make it known that I'm trying to bring them business and roam around just like any other customer, which of course, I am.
I very often wander into a local, just to get a feel for the shop and see if this is where I will bring someone. And of course, if this is somewhere I want to do business.
Just as examples - Campsite and SSS are where I would bring anyone - anytime, and I have recently.
LISC has had so many chances to just be decent and have failed miserably each time and I eventually just crossed them off the list altogether.
But any shop that closes hurts us all. It's almost as sad as a range shutting down, you know?
That said - If the glowing reviews keep coming, I'll pay another visit and give a wander around.
I had a great conversation this week with one of our members who does business there and I trust his sense and judgement.
Nothing would make me happier than seeing them wake up.
We'll see and until then - live in hope.

#10 ·
Good to hear you had a good experience...what were you shooting? Or, did they charge you extra because you wanted to hang a pinyata down range?

G
#12 ·
Wish they were like the old days myself. I bought a few firearms there, was treated very well back then. not so much now.
2 things come to mind
1] was charged sales tax on the purchase price of a firearm, I got from out of state. Not just the sales tax on the FFL transfer fee.
2] I was going to trade in a RARE Randall Gen, LeMay Model A311 one of 361 ever made in .45 auto. The Gent said it was a piece of *hit , give me about 150 on a trade in.
To be honest, not sure how many round ran down the pipe, but has to be less than 300.
No diss. ment to them, I figure the gun business is not easy. But Damn treat people with a little respect

#13 ·
artburg said:
:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse I have had nothing but good experiences there since all the horror stories on here started.In the past I did but about 12-14 range visits this winter were all quite enjoyable with nice conversations with the staff
Artbug...are you suggesting that I am beating a dead horse? I am merely giving you the benefit of my very specifice negative experiences from my times at the LISC. I have given them a "second chance" to overcome these past negative experiences on numerous occasions, but amazingly, they continue to demonstrate their lack of customer service and remind me of why I do not frequent that establishment any longer. You can beat all of the dead horses you want, but the facts are what they are, also coming from too many respected LIF sources here to dispute, so if they are nice to you, good for you and you can continue to give them business. It would be wise for you to keep the dead horse beating to yourself though, especially when someone else does not share your opionion based on real world facts.

#14 ·
[quote name='']Wish they were like the old days myself. I bought a few firearms there, was treated very well back then. not so much now.
2 things come to mind
1] was charged sales tax on the purchase price of a firearm, I got from out of state. Not just the sales tax on the FFL transfer fee.
2] I was going to trade in a RARE Randall Gen, LeMay Model A311 one of 361 ever made in .45 auto. The Gent said it was a piece of *hit , give me about 150 on a trade in.
To be honest, not sure how many round ran down the pipe, but has to be less than 300.
No diss. ment to them, I figure the gun business is not easy. But Damn treat people with a little respect[/quote]

OK I have heard this sales tax BS before, here's the deal folks IT'S ILLEGAL. Just tell them NO, they are not authorized to collect sales tax beyond the tax due on any amount that they not charge you directly(the FFL).

When they file their NY sales and use tax return, they state GROSS SALES. This is the money THEY took in, not somebody else. They are not authorized to collect sales tax on money taken in by a third, unrelated party. In fact, if the third party had a location in NY state, then the third party would be responsible for collecting the tax. With out of state vendors, you are responsible for reporting your own purchases and paying tax on them directly to the state.

If they give you some BS about how "you have to pay sales tax on the firearm purchase" then what you do is inform them that it is an internet purchase and you intend to file it as such on your return (which has a line for that exact purpose and the rate is A LOT LOWER) .

If they are stupid enough to try to insist, simply demand they produce their 17-A (certificate of authority) because you will be taking it us with the NYSDTF, and you want to know whose certificate to reference in your inquiry. In my book, a person that cheats their customers and the government at the same time really needs straightening out.

Hope this saves someone on here from getting scammed. You can bet for sure they are not taking the price you paid for the gun and adding it into their gross sales and reporting that and paying the tax on it, they are pocketing the money.

#16 ·
phoenix27 said:
Artbug...are you suggesting that I am beating a dead horse? I am merely giving you the benefit of my very specifice negative experiences from my times at the LISC. I have given them a "second chance" to overcome these past negative experiences on numerous occasions, but amazingly, they continue to demonstrate their lack of customer service and remind me of why I do not frequent that establishment any longer. You can beat all of the dead horses you want, but the facts are what they are, also coming from too many respected LIF sources here to dispute, so if they are nice to you, good for you and you can continue to give them business. It would be wise for you to keep the dead horse beating to yourself though, especially when someone else does not share your opionion based on real world facts.
I was merely stating that the LISC sucks topic has been beat to death on here,we all know that alot have had problems,but when something positive happens alot of members line up to sh*t on it.It's not my favorite place but latley it has been much better.Some people need to face facts that maybe they may be the problem bringing the greif on the themselves.Maybe they just don't like you :)As far as keeping the dead horse beating to myself,no I think I'll continue to use it until it's no longer available.This is a public forum and I really appreciate you telling me what to do but my Dad died in 1993 and I think I don't need a new one,even if he is a "respected"LIF member as yourself,who voted on that by the way?You have a nice Easter,can we get a beating a dead rabbit smiley??

#17 ·
artburg said:
I was merely stating that the LISC sucks topic has been beat to death on here,we all know that alot have had problems,but when something positive happens alot of members line up to sh*t on it.It's not my favorite place but latley it has been much better.Some people need to face facts that maybe they may be the problem bringing the greif on the themselves.Maybe they just don't like you :)As far as keeping the dead horse beating to myself,no I think I'll continue to use it until it's no longer available.This is a public forum and I really appreciate you telling me what to do but my Dad died in 1993 and I think I don't need a new one,even if he is a "respected"LIF member as yourself,who voted on that by the way?You have a nice Easter,can we get a beating a dead rabbit smiley??
Could not agree more. My experiences have been positive as well. You dont agree with us and have a negative review dont go.
The rest of us we will go and give it a chance to clear the air of negative energy.
El Guapo we salute you !!

#18 ·
NorthForkSportsman said:
Could not agree more. My experiences have been positive as well. You dont agree with us and have a negative review dont go.
The rest of us we will go and give it a chance to clear the air of negative energy.
El Guapo we salute you !!
If I go there and I have a good experience, why the hell would my fellow members on LIF tell me different? Like almost I'm lying or it doesn't matter, the place is just black balled.

No disrespect here, but maybe, and I'm just saying, if you walk in looking for a problem from what you've read on some forums, your bound to find one.

I suggest talking to the younger kid behind the counter, I asked he answered, introduced himself, shook my hand, basically was a nice intro on his part.

#19 ·
Artbug-
My opinions of the LISC are based on some real firsthand experiences...here are just a few:

- they screwed me out of an $81 store credit (after I had purchased 6 guns there)
- they told me I couldn't shoot there if I didn't buy their ammo on more that one occasion
- my son was shipping out to afghanistan to fight in a shooting war last year. We went to the LISC the day before he shipped out to shoot a new shotgun I had just bought him. One of the principles told me in order to shoot these shotguns I had to use his Rem slugs that he wanted to sell me for $8 a box. I said fine, I'll buy a couple of boxes at that inflated price. I then showed him four more boxes of the same exact Rem slugs that I had brought along with me that I bought at Wal-Mart for $3 a box. He looked at them and looked me in the eye saying I couldn't use them. I said why not, they are your site-approved slugs? He said I could only use his slugs and he was going to count how many rounds I shot and would throw me out if I used any of my slugs. At that point, I looked him in the eye and told him where to go. I have not been back there since that experience last year.

It is a free country and you can go and do whatever you like. I am not trying to be you father and tell you what to do. But please don't paper my post with 100 assinine cartoons just because I don't share your viewpoint. My LISC experiences are not third hand rumors, but real life firsthand experiences. Maybe the LISC is changing for the better, well good for them, it's about time they started to come around. But it seems like they still have a tendency to take one step forward and one step back. From some of the other posts here (like the guy who got thrown out two days ago for not buying their ammo, or the other gent who got screwed out of the some sales tax for an interstate FFL transfer) they are still up to their old tricks. It just depends what day of the week it is and you you get when you show up. If you announce that you are from the LIF forum, a place where they have been getting rightfully slammed, they might go out of their way to be nice. But if you are perceived to be John Q and have no affiliation, they might show their true colors, as have been chronicaled here by others. Bottom line, we can all do what we want, just do me a favor and go easy on the cartoons the next time...one would have made your point nicely.

#21 ·
phoenix27 said:
Artbug-
My opinions of the LISC are based on some real firsthand experiences...here are just a few:

- they screwed me out of a $60 store credit (after I had purchased 6 guns there)
- they told me I couldn't shoot there if I didn't buy their ammo on more that one occasion
- my son was shipping out to afghanistan to fight in a shooting war last year. We went to the LISC the day before he shipped out to shoot a new shotgun I had just bought him. One of the principles told me in order to shoot these shotguns I had to use his Rem slugs that he wanted to sell me for $8 a box. I said fine, I'll buy a couple of boxes at that inflated price. I then showed him four more boxes of the same exact Rem slugs that I had brought along with me that I bought at Wal-Mart for $3 a box. He looked at them and looked me in the eye saying I couldn't use them. I said why not, they are your site-approved slugs? He said I could only use his slugs and he was going to count how many rounds I shot and would throw me out if I used any of my slugs. At that point, I looked him in the eye and told him where to go. I have not been back there since that experience last year.

It is a free country and you can go and do whatever you like. I am not trying to be you father and tell you what to do. But please don't paper my post with 100 assinine cartoons just because I don't share your viewpoint. My LISC experiences are not third hand rumors, but real life firsthand experiences. Maybe the LISC is changing for the better, well good for them, it's about time they started to come around. But it seems like they still have a tendency to take one step forward and one step back. From some of the other posts here (like the guy who got thrown out two days ago for not buying their ammo, or the other gent who got screwed out of the some sales tax for an interstate FFL transfer) they are still up to their old tricks. It just depends what day of the week it is and you you get when you show up. If you announce that you are from the LIF forum, a place where they have been getting rightfully slammed, they might go out of their way to be nice. But if you are perceived to be John Q and have no affiliation, they might show their true colors, as have been chronicaled here by others. Bottom line, we can all do what we want, just do me a favor and go easy on the cartoons the next time...one would have made your point nicely.
My LISC experiences are also real life firsthand experiences.The beating the dead horse was aimed more at all the post on this forum regarding this store and not your comment only.As far as the "assinine cartons" I'll use them as I see fit,but thanks for the advice.
:hide:fists:fight:friends:doublerock:crazy:backtotopic:backtotopic:backtotopic:backtotopic:backtotopic:backtotopic:backtotopic:backtotopic:backtotopic:backtotopic:backtotopic

#22 ·
I was verbally abused and mocked by the range officer and thrown off the range for not using "NRA Approved Targets" aka their targets before a single round went down range. I went out side and read all of the range rules, turn around and asked for my money back, which they refused. I even went as far as to talk to Mike during the week, and I was insulted and refused a refund.

That's was the last time.

If things go well for you at LISC, then great for you, but I'm not so great with LISC.

The Jury is still out for me on returning to LISC.

#23 ·
I'm sorry guys but I haven't been there in a long time and have never shot there just shopped. After reading the bad stuff that has happened to customers of that place on this thread I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT IN THAT SHOP, EVER. I am happy for the guys that like the place but it does not make up for the bad stories I'm reading here.

#24 ·
Getting charged a sales tax on an out of state purchase? Yeah, that's not a good way to conduct business. I "heard" of another place that pulled the same prank.

I can understand LISC not allowing other shotgun ammo to be used on their indoor range (due to possible range damage) but, I do not agree them not allowing you to use the same exact ammo purchased elsewhere.

#25 ·
As much as I would like for the LISC to experience a complete catharsis and start over from page 1 due to the geographical convenience factor, they seem to be consistently inconsistent with their customer service approach and attitude. Once again, for the favored few, all seems to be fine. But there are just way too many negative reports that are still to this day coming out of there to lead me to believe otherwise. So for me and my money, the annoyance factor far outweighs any possible convenience factor. Looks like the dead horse is still alive and running amok, so if you decide to temp the fates over at the LISC, remember the sage words of my Roman forebearers, "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware).  

#26 ·
Here is my "Dead Horse" comment! I have spent spent thousands of dollars at LISC, I've enjoyed one or two of the experiences, been terribly taken over the coals for an embarassing amount of money (should have comparison shopped)
and almost lost a great Gun Broker deal because of their attitude with the seller. It is hit or miss. I'd rather go to campsite where it is always a good experience or to one of the other shops where the good experiences vastly outweigh the bad.
But I'll not waste any more of my time commenting on LISC it aint worth it. JMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.