Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week on my recommendation a buddy of mine picked up his new Browning X-Bolt in .308. We had it at calverton a couple days ago to zero and test fire it. Took quite a few rounds to get on paper and plus zeroing at 50 and then 100 yds plus just having fun with it we probably took at least 40 shots each with it.
On top of that I took my A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7mm Rem Mag and ran about 30 rounds through that one myself. Plus many rounds in our AR's also. I have some arthritis in my shoulders now and I was feeling it to the point of flinching prior to shooting towards the end and it hurt for a couple days after. The SS is pretty light and along with the caliber, my age, arthritis and rock hard 'pad' for lack of a better word, it's time for something different. I've heard a lot about Limbsavers and wondering who here has one and what they think of them, is it worth it, does it lower recoil to more acceptable levels?

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
Good to go. I am on blood thinners and bruise easily... which is bad for me as i clot like crazy. Limbsavers reduce the felt recoil and prevent bruising.

Reactions: C6NY

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
You can get the slip on ones or purpose built for the stock. I recommend the latter as the slip on ones can move about.

You can go to their website and download the patterns to see which model to order. Just print it at 100%, not "fit to page"

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
I had a 30-30 Winchester '94 that kicked like a mule with a metal butt plate on it.
I put on a 3/4" thick Pachmayr decelerator pad (which improved the length of pull to my liking anyway), and now it is as soft on the shoulder as a .223.
I have a few of the Pachmayr, and they are A-one. They come in different sizing so be sure to measure your stock and size it accordingly if you are going to order.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Not meaning ti Hijack the thread, but ANYONE, who has arthritis and takes 10-20 grams of collagen powder a day with see a major improvement in a month. It is one of the only products that I have seen in my 40 years in the supplement business that works like a pharmaceutical.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have a few of the Pachmayr, and they are A-one. They come in different sizing so be sure to measure your stock and size it accordingly if you are going to order.
Yes, you need to get the right size. The Pachmayr also require some customizing to fit. You hold them to the stock, scribe a line around the stock, and then use a belt sander to cut them back to the shape of the stock for a truly custom fit. Then you cut two slits through a certain location with a razor to insert the screws, and screw it on. The slits close, and the screws become invisible.
It's not a plug and play install, but when complete it looks amazing. If you have the option to buy a pad that's pre-fit, do that. It'll save you much time. If you have an older gun, a customized fit may be your best option if you don't want something ugly.

My main point though, was that a decent shock absorbing pad can make a huge difference over a solid pad. You just need to consider that it changes your length of pull.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it in the mail yesterday. It feels real nice in hand and much softer than the brick on the rifle now. It almost feels too soft but everyone seems to say they really reduce the shoulder punch. I screwed it on and it fits nicely. Possibly 1/32" narrower through the sides then the the stock but it would be nit-picking to complain about it. It is about a 1/2" longer than the stock pad but the original isn't compressible at all and the Limbsaver is so much more so just holding it to the shoulder squeezes it to the stock LOP. Unfortunately I'm not going to get a chance to get to the range today to test drive it but hopefully next weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.