Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone through the process of registering a lever gun with the NYC rifle-shotgun section?
The main thing I'm wondering about is what can you do to block the capacity down to the "safe and socially acceptable" limit of 5 rds?
Is a plug in the mag tube (like what you'd do if hunting with a shotgun) all that is needed?
Henry makes their brass inner magazine tubes in 5 round versions that you can easily use in their centerfire rifles without altering the gun in any way, but I'm interested in what can be done with side-feeding rifles like Marlins or Winchesters?

Yes, this is a dumb problem to have with a basic design thats 150 years old, but for while I'm still living here, it is what it is...

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
It's not certain. There is no guidance and to call up Kew Gardens and ask = to be denied. You can try it and proceed at your own risk.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think this is similar to magazine fed guns in that the receipt/registration form should indicate that the gun is 5 rounds only. that's the question I would ask.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
I have sort of first hand experience with this because I used to know a gunsmith who did work in NYC. He had a customer's lever action that he had to modify for NYC compliance and he had to pin the tube so it would be "permanent".

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have sort of first hand experience with this because I used to know a gunsmith who did work in NYC. He had a customer's lever action that he had to modify for NYC compliance and he had to pin the tube so it would be "permanent".
Darn, I figured that might be the case. no use having a rifle you can't fully clean or repair without becoming a criminal.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
This is correct. They want it permanent.

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Banned
0 Posts
. ^^ this. And if I remember correctly they also want to see the receipt from the gunsmith that the work was performed

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ridiculous. I can't wait to move to America.

Next time you guys are at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, let the curator of the Arms & Armor department know that since the museum is located within NYC, this work of art should properly be labeled:

Winchester Repeating Arms Co. Assault Weapon. Decorated by Tiffany & Co.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts