Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I've been kicking around the idea of buying a basic 700 and building the hell out of it. I love the look of the Bell & Carlson stock with the adjustable cheek rest but I've heard of some people saying that they set it once and never change it..

I'm thinking of getting a 700 SPS in .308 as my starting point and going from there. Just curious to see what you guys have done.. things you would do again, things you wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wuggzwest said:
Been thinking the same thing Pete, but Im not sure exactly where I want to start. I think that Stock costs almost as much as the rifle!
it does! My plan is to slowly replace every piece of the rifle until I have two 700s. Hopefully by that time, I'll have the money for a high end 700 clone action..

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
i have a VTR in .308 with a harris bipod and a leupold mark 4 6.5x-20x mildot.....only thing i probably would have done was by the high profile mark 4 scope rings as opposed to the medium ones. overall i love the rifle.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great stock the only down fall is its real heavy. This is my build still in progress. Rem 700 LA in 308 20" barrel, trued action.No longer in this stock. Its now in a Bell & Carlson M40 only because its now 5 lbs lighter

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BIGROB said:
i have a VTR in .308 with a harris bipod and a leupold mark 4 6.5x-20x mildot.....only thing i probably would have done was by the high profile mark 4 scope rings as opposed to the medium ones. overall i love the rifle.
that is a nice piece of glass.. do you have any place outside of LI to use it? The rifle tubes at my range are only 100 yards although summer nights at Calverton could get out to 300yds.

Elvis.. nicely done.. who did your action? price?

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Pete: When it comes to adjustable length of pull, butt pad (up and down) and cheek rest, I only found myself adjusting them when changing shooting positions: ie prone, sitting, kneeling, offhand and off a bench.

I'm waiting for Ghost Hunter to post a pic of something he built.....

·
Registered
278 Posts
A small shop in NC came highly recommended by numerous guys on a different site. Great work great price and fast turn around time. I had the barrel cut down and re crowned old barrel removed new barrel mounted head spaced action trued and blue printed $500

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had the medalist stock which is different then the one posted but it was still heavy. I had a 20" sps tactical in it. My next rifle is going to be the Remington ltr. With the lack of real ranges on the island, anything over 20" is a waste. A 20" should get you out to 800 yds and the max here is 200yds (sometimes 300yds).

The ltr weighs 7.5 pounds which is a pound and a half lighter then most. Add a scope, base, rings and bipod and you would be where the other weights start. Also, the ltr stock is an HS stock so it is gtg and no replacement is necessary.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
peteinsuffolk said:
that is a nice piece of glass.. do you have any place outside of LI to use it? The rifle tubes at my range are only 100 yards although summer nights at Calverton could get out to 300yds.

Elvis.. nicely done.. who did your action? price?
i have taken it out to 1000 yards at a range in Pennsylvania....only once though. my family just got a house in Michigan so i plan on taking it out to 600+ yards often pretty soon.

this rifle does have the potential to reach out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here's my starting point:

Remington 700 SPS tactical w/ 20' barrel, .308
Leupold Euro 30mm 3-9x mounted in TPS super low rings
Harris 6-9" bipod

I have a shade under $1k into the rifle thus far, going to slowly upgrade...

·
Registered
278 Posts
peteinsuffolk said:
Vick.. you have that B&C stock? is it as heavy as Elvis says? I'm not hunting with the rifle so weight isn't my main concern.
Yea I said the same thing being I was going to use it just at the range.Then I started to carry it out into feilds still for targets that 15.8 lbs got heavy fast. Know its at 11 lbs with leupold mark 4 6.5 - 20 X 50 harris lite bipod 20 moa base low rings. This rifle has way more potential then I'm capable of. The new stock is still a B&C with aluminum bedding pillars and frame just alot lighter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.