Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No tin foil hat, but just a question.

Coming home from Montauk Point Sunday on Sunrise I see two MTA Police vehicles, one car and one SUV with "Highway Patrol" on the back.

Why would the Metropolitan Transportation Authority have highway patrol?

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Gives them access to a different pot of federal funds for enforcement. They are supporting cast members at many DWI check points too, most of them nowhere near a bridge or tunnel. They are out here on LI because of their LIRR responsibilities though.
A share in the fed funds and the enforcement (ticket) revenue is too good to pass up.

· Registered
12,359 Posts
No tin foil hat, but just a question.

Coming home from Montauk Point Sunday on Sunrise I see two MTA Police vehicles, one car and one SUV with "Highway Patrol" on the back.

Why would the Metropolitan Transportation Authority have highway patrol?
MTA have to respond to any rail road accident or complaints around a station, and issue VTL in NY. In the winter,It would take an hour for a unit to respond to an MVA to fill out the accident report. The summer they have more units covering the east end...They also cover Connecticut.

· Banned
8,822 Posts
The MTA patrols bridges and tunnels
MTA Bridge and Tunnel Police are peace officers. They have highway patrol generally by the bridge and tunnels only. You won't see them make traffic stops generally anywhere else. They drive white RMP's.

MTA Police are police officers. They also have highway and are more spread out due to the LIRR. I have seen them doing traffic stops on the Northern State Parkway.

· INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
NYC Transit Police had one years back before it all became one department, It was their ceremonial unit, A couple bikes and cars....I knew a guy that was in it..

· Registered
15,344 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.