Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine is moving from Florida to Suffolk County in a few weeks. He can buy a pistol down there in a matter of days. What is the legal process then for when he moves up here? Immediately notify PLB and start the license process im sure, but does he have to give up the pistol till that all clears?

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
So a friend of mine is moving from Florida to Suffolk County in a few weeks. He can buy a pistol down there in a matter of days. What is the legal process then for when he moves up here? Immediately notify PLB and start the license process im sure, but does he have to give up the pistol till that all clears?
He has to leave his handguns in Florida and mail them up once he gets his license

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
He has to leave his handguns in Florida and mail them up once he gets his license
Or, if that is not an option, he can have them stored at an FFL down there or transfer them to an FFL up here who will hold them pending him receiving his license.

·
Registered
527 Posts
He can also transfer them to an FFL here and any licensed person can hold them. He may also be able to have the FFL hold them until his license arrives. (Ask first though)
Ya, but for "any licensed person" to hold them, they have to be "sold" by the FFL to the PL holder (pay fees) and listed on their license, and later "sold" back to the original owner, an FFL paid to handle that private transfer, and 'amendment fees' paid for any/all changes.

I suppose purchasing now in FL is a hedge against future price increases; but if he waits, he can purchase off the Internet, it will cost $10~$25 plus tax for the FFL on the NY end. If you consider the total cost of all the FFL fees and shipping, and the idea that in 6~18 months (don't think you need to be a resident for 12 months to apply, but my references had to know me longer than 1 year) your friend may prefer some new model or option.

Reactions: Mac52

·
Uh-oh...
12,517 Posts
Ya, but for "any licensed person" to hold them, they have to be "sold" by the FFL to the PL holder (pay fees) and listed on their license, and later "sold" back to the original owner, an FFL paid to handle that private transfer, and 'amendment fees' paid for any/all changes.

I suppose purchasing now in FL is a hedge against future price increases; but if he waits, he can purchase off the Internet, it will cost $10~$25 plus tax for the FFL on the NY end. If you consider the total cost of all the FFL fees and shipping, and the idea that in 6~18 months (don't think you need to be a resident for 12 months to apply, but my references had to know me longer than 1 year) your friend may prefer some new model or option.
Don't forget about magazines. He has to leave the full cap mags down there. It may be better to wait to buy what he wants up here so he doesn't have the extra expense of replacing the mags for something that was bought down there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.