Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't going to post this but, after mentioning it to another shooter, they convinced me to air it out so here goes.

I've been going to the L.I.S.C. since 1990. Obviously I never had a problem with any of the owners.
The latest owners (Mike & Ken) are the only (2) guys I know over there plus the woman who is there also.
I really haven't been there too many times over the years. The last time I purchased a gun from them was when Tony worked there. I purchased a rifle and dropped off a .22 revolver for "light strikes". The revolver was a High Standard Sentinel and perhaps it was too much for Tony (the gunsmith) to handle. I realize the gun is old and long out of production but, they had my gun for nearly 2 years for a light striking condition. I lost my patience and asked for my revolver back. I ended up waiting 2 years and paying them $92 to get the gun back in the same broken condition I gave them to fix. That was the only complaint I had with them that made this website. Other than that, I never had anything else to say about them in an open forum.

Anyway, last week I decided to stop in since I was in the area. The minute I walked in the door, Mike said: "Leave my store". I wasn't sure if he was messing around or not so I gave him a puzzled look. He stated again: "Leave my store now." In the brief seconds that ensued, the only thing I thought of that perhaps had him asking me to leave was this website. I told him: "Does this have to do with the website? If so, you have the wrong guy." Mike reaffirmed "Get out now." So I left. As I walked out I said something to him that I can't print here.....he replied the same thing back to me.

Now, I'll say this. I never had a bad dealing with Mike. We were always mutually respectful towards one another. As for Ken, I like the guy. He's a character and will give back as much as you give him.

So, I'm posting this for 2 reasons. 1, to tell my side of the story, and 2, because I know Mike and company read this website.
Honestly, I have no idea why I was asked to leave. Apparently Mike knows the reason. Perhaps he should have told me to leave, and given me an explanation as to why. Oh well, it'll have to remain a mystery to me then.

EDIT to add: Whoops, I found a post I made in 2010 that maybe got me tossed last week.

March 24, 2010, 3:28pm
"I don't shoot there anymore and I haven't bought an overpriced gun from them in ages. I go there perhaps 4 times a year to see what's in the display case. 98% of my shopping is done online."

If that's what did it, I really have nothing else to say.

·
SUPER STAR
5,508 Posts
I own a small business and I need my customers. In 7 years, I have only told 2 people that "I cannot do business with you, find someone else" and both times, I was polite.

Because of this forum, I have never been to LISC and I will never go.....the only thing I know about them is what I read here..... I read over and over again how they demean customers and treat people with great disrespect.

I wanna know this.........how can they possibly stay in business?

·
Husband, Father, Chef, Gun Guy
1,359 Posts
I hope there is a good reason for it.  Some of these gunshop owner/operators really think they are above customer service.  It really rubs me the wrong way.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pate, they know me by my screen name. Forgot how it came up but they knew. Ken mentioned it and I said: "Yes, I'm SigSauer228" on LIF.

I know there was "SigSauer NY" on here as well.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Pate said:
How would they connect you and your screen name?
That's what i was thinking. Unless you told them who you are on here.

edit: you beat me to the explanation. They must have looked.

edit edit: Wow, who has the time to read all that? I wonder what made them search through all your posts to find out if you've written anything about them online?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully the person who mistreated you suffers to the point where he realizes his wrong doing and changes his attitude and treats his customers better. store owners should really realize that word of mouth, especially these days through forums like this, can make or break your business. I always read great things about (some) local stores so I can walk into a new place and feel like I know everyone already. And on the other end of it, hear horror stories like this and it will save me from a negative shopping experience. The Internet it a powerful tool

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
Reviews of shops on LIF do matter. Sometimes you get some people with bad experiences at good places, but based on their rep, LISC is really a piece of work.

The preponderance of bad stories makes you wonder how the place stays in business. And you would think stores would be more respectful with an online source like this forum out there. I've often mentioned to shop-owners that I heard about them on LIF, etc. and they always thank me and acknowledge the forum.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
FULL METAL JACKET said:
This is gonna be another loooong thread..... I have never been to lisc and probably never will because of the bad reviews here on the site!
Yep. Me too. And that's on them. They can't boo hoo a reputation that seems to have built up.

Just like I and others will back SSS and Hunter Sports because they are awesome shops and good people. They earned their reviews and positive reputations.

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
Destro said:
Yep. Me too. And that's on them. They can't boo hoo a reputation that seems to have built up.

Just like I and others will back SSS and Hunter Sports because they are awesome shops and good people. They earned their reviews and positive reputations.
Yep! That's my choice of stores... Bought my first handgun today at SSS... Glk19 gen 3... Stan was awesome

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FULL METAL JACKET said:
This is gonna be another loooong thread..... !
.....it'll prolly end up getting locked.

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
i went to SSS yesterday to pick up some ammo. the owner remembered me from almost 12 months ago when i bought a kimber from them and asked how my kimber was treating me. 10-12 later and after all those customers you remember what i bought? thats customer service.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Been to LISC only once... to use the range. Ended up buying an Xdm .45 mag on the way out. I only dealt with a lady, seemed nice enough. The range was a bit too dark for my taste, but it could have been worst.

·
Registered
207 Posts
After going to LISC over a year ago, I will never go again. $11 every half an hour to shoot a shotgun and you can only use "their ammo" which is $2 a round and can only be bought in 5 round boxes. Thats what i call extremely unreasonable. I would throw myself out of that place if i could. There are many other great places on our island that will treat you with respect and that are not so money hungry. I hated every second of being inside that place. Like everyone else said, why are they still in business? Its because they rip everyone off either on the range or in their overpriced shop. You should be glad you cant go in there anymore, who needs them.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.