Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Knew George Kwak when he first opened, Jeff is the man to see now but I have not had any dealings with him

Down on Merrick Rd, North side, between the Firehouse and Mill Pond (Arby Ct and Riverside Dr)

·
Puppy Training
1,381 Posts
I live in Bellmore about 23 years. When George owned it I was there almost every other day. When Jeff owned it I was in there almost everyday. Since this guy took it over I've been in there 2 or 3 times in the last 5 years.  His guns were in a wooden barrel all low end stuff. I guess a Mossberg 500 would be a safe buy there.

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
Kwaks did an ffl transfer ,small shop.He's mostly geared for fishing,located on Merrick Rd Wantagh/Bellmore border by Mill Pond.He's was a little high on used guns,very few guns in the shop no handguns.

·
Registered
278 Posts
good people... a father & son operation, pretty knowledgeable guys. Its more of a small odds and ends pawn shop with emphasis on firearms and fishing. very hit or miss, dont go expecting to walk into Coliseum Gun Traders. one day they will have 30 guns on the wall ranging from various action shotguns and .22 LR's to .308's maybe a random mauser and sks in between... and sometimes you will only see 4 rifles on the wall.

its on my way home from work, i like to pop my head in every now and then... sometimes a good deal comes around

·
In my Happy Place
3,769 Posts
NRATC53 said:
Knew George Kwak when he first opened, Jeff is the man to see now but I have not had any dealings with him

Down on Merrick Rd, North side, between the Firehouse and Mill Pond (Arby Ct and Riverside Dr)
Jeff, (worked for/with George when he owned the place), sold the place some years back, moved away and passed away, vey sad. Is the new guys name Jeff also?

·
200 Warning Points, with a side of bacon.
2,893 Posts
Bought my first firearm from there. Good people.

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
The father and son are both named Tom/Thomas. Maybe they should be T&T?

Small shop, but I beleve they bought out somebody's stock. They have increased their stock of rifles quite a bit a few months ago. They do a lot of Evilbay/auction stuff. Their stock and prices are definitely hit or miss. I just missed a Rem 700 in .223 last year. They just sold a 9mm Hipoint for a decent price. Usually a decent amount of .22's.

$25+tax long gun transfers, but they told me no military rifles. But they have a few SKS's on the wall. Go figure.

Might be worth it to pop in now and again, but don't expect too much. SSS they ain't.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
The place is great for what it purports to be.  In terms of firearms they are fair and friendly dealers of used firearms.  I am generally a big fan of South Shore, but in terms of used firearms I believe that KWAKS is definitely worth a visit.  I was in there two or three weeks ago and sold my like new Saiga semi automatic 12gauge shotgun to the son.  I really enjoyed dealing with him.  He gave me what I consider to be a very good price, with still plenty of room for him to sell it at a fair price.  I didn't need it/want it anymore -- if it's still there and any one has an interest in such a thing you might enjoy it.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
David Li said:
Where is KWAKS in relation to SSS and Hunter Sports. Are thy in between?
Yes, sort of... SSS and Hunter are both on Sunrise hwy. Kwaks is on Merrick Rd. a little west of the wantagh pkwy, across from the 7-11 and next to the pond.

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
barfly said:
Jeff, (worked for/with George when he owned the place), sold the place some years back, moved away and passed away, vey sad. Is the new guys name Jeff also?
Knew Jeff many years ago when he came to work for George, sad to hear he passed away. Didn't know he had sold and passed on.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Kwaks handled a couple of transfers for me @25 per, which is very reasonable. I also bought a Savage .22 bolt action for my kid. They are good to deal with, with a few exceptions: they don't like dealing with "assault" rifles, and don't do handguns.
Their inventory always changes, and they sell a lot on gunbroker.

Overall its a pleasant experience, Tom will shoot the breeze for as long as you wish.

·
Gun guru (poseur)
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I stopped in at Kwak's on my way back from the Freeport show. The gentleman was very pleasant. It was rather busy (several folks with the same Freeport star stamp on the back of their hands) so I didn't check out a lot of prices. He seemed reasonable on an old Mossberg "New Haven" 250c rifle.

Sadly it didn't have a magazine, and it looks like they can be a bit expensive.

He did have what looked like a 590 with wood furniture, and a couple of M1 carbines up on the wall that looked tempting.

I don't know if I'd make a pilgrimage there, but it's certainly worth checking out if you're in the area.

·
Gun guru (poseur)
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mad Russian said:
. . . they don't like dealing with "assault" rifles. . .
Apropos, when the crowd's chat inevitably turned to the Rice and ARs, he pointed out that he was the only gun shop in the county not raided.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.