Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Would love to see these show up at <$200, like in the mid-'80s, but I doubt that will happen.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
I would buy one of these. Where do we buy them?

·
Banned
5,029 Posts
probuably if we are lucky they will be sold of at the CMP  but this time they will be 600 or more.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
M14BULLETTS said:
probuably if we are lucky they will be sold of at the CMP but this time they will be 600 or more.
I dunno, 86,000? If some importer handled them instead they might be significantly cheaper and a lot faster delivering them.

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
cheaper? No.... "market pricing"  I'm sure.     :-(  

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
I love the last paragraph of the story. Then again what do you expect from the BBC. The M1 Carbine round did have penetration problems with the quilted red Chinese jackets. The stoppage problem was a result of the grease used on the M1 Garands that was issued and froze in sub-zero temps. New grease was issued and the problem disappeared. The .30-06 round certainly had no problems ripping right through any Chinese or NORK's.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The M1 carbine as it was improved at the near the end of WWII and rebuilt after wwII with a bayo lug , I didn't think wouldn't be legal in NYC.( both the improved M1 or M1A1 both had a bayo lug).

But in reading it, it seems they list by name and model number what is illegal... seems only newer versions. ???
I don't see the vintage m1 or m1a1 on there.

http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm

And for the rest of the state, well these were made welllllll before the 1994 ban.

They are a hoot to shoot, let me tell ya....

You can get 5 and 10 rnd mags now for the carbines.
It seems most carbines are sold mail order w/o mags.

I get vintage , like new , prepan WWII 15rnd mags from Orion7.
I missed the sale of a "one time offering" . a stash the CMP found. All gone for 15/ea, for 15 rnd original WWII mags.

CMP stated that they aren't going to be involved in the Korean deal, and it will be a commercial importer.

( edit: let me rephrase that for better accuracy by quoting the CMP COO " CMP does not have any involvement in this. " "CMP is not an importer and we can't buy these rifles.")

(later others seemingly in the "know" said it would be handled by commercial importers)

I don't think those numbers are large at all, I think it's a drop in the bucket quantity wise compared to what the CMP has been selling.

The present commercial importers are putting out the crap CMP didn't take and what they can find.
Stores on the west coast like "Big5" are selling worse then rack grade Garands for $900.
The collectors on the CMP forum cruise the Big5 to see what's up. A few have found diamonds in the rough, to use for parts they needed to complete a certain mfg of Garand.
People that don't know any better , or don't know about the CMP. or don't want to wait , are buying them.
So I wouldn't expect these to hit the stores for any less $$.

My uncle was an armorer in Korea, and he said what was left over there was a big mess. They were starting to throw the un-salvageable Garands into the ocean.
No one took care of them. And if they did, like maybe an officer, they were buying them from the service and sending them home. But still they were mix masters with the best salvaged parts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
SOKORs are not new. My first M1 carbine and M1 rifle were SOKOR returns, back in the '90s. The import marks on the barrel of the Garand is faint; all I can make out is "ington, VA". Presumably, that's Arlington, VA. Which importer is based there? I bought both guns back in the early '90s.

Still, it's great they are coming home!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Regarding the "lack of penetration" of the M1 carbine round,  studies since then has determined that soldiers spraying at full auto simply missed.  The late Chuck Karwan (Vietnam Special Forces vet, among other things) pretty much debunked that myth; though it lingers.

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
shep854 said:
Regarding the "lack of penetration" of the M1 carbine round, studies since then has determined that soldiers spraying at full auto simply missed. The late Chuck Karwan (Vietnam Special Forces vet, among other things) pretty much debunked that myth; though it lingers.
How can that be? the M1 Carbine was/is semi-auto only....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Parashooter said:
How can that be? the M1 Carbine was/is semi-auto only....
The M2 carbine (selective-fire version) used the M1 carbine cartridge. Nomenclature gets fuzzy, and my post was a little unclear.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The "m2" variant of the m1 carbine is select fire.
It was introduced late 44, saw action early 45, along with the 30 rnd mag for it.
about 600,000 made.

The m3 variant had a sniper scope and then early night vision technology.

Versions..
M1 original (was originally design to be select fire, but the army deleted the function)
M1a1 paratrooper
M1a2 upgraded m1,
M2 select fire
M3 scoped and night vision

·
Registered
1 Posts
I carried an M2 carbine for 16 months in Korea and I am really getting tired of that old myth that a 30 carbine round would not penetrate the cotton quilted jackets worn by the Chinese army.  Believe me a 30 carbine round would kill those Chinese deader than canned mackeral  if well placed. The hills of Korea are full of the bones of Chinese that were killed by that under powered carbine round.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've heard those same rumors, but never seen any tests support it.
If it were true, I figure there would be all sorts of video showing such tests and froozen vests stopping the carbine round.
It's easy enough to simulate.

I have seen an army video showing, at 100 yrd, the 30 carbine round going through a german's helmet and into "melon" of the german dummy used in the demonstration.

Same demo showed the m2 / 30-06 going through and through.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Pvt. Joker said:
Would love to see these show up at <$200, like in the mid-'80s, but I doubt that will happen.
If you really want to get aggravated, I bought one from CMP somewhere around 1967
It sold for $25 all matching numbers and still in the cosmoline.
Thought I made a killing by selling it for $100 around 1969-70
Kicking myself now!
But I still have the carbine I bought from them back in 1968 also all matching #'s

1 - 20 of 24 Posts