Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knife #4, Same design, Much better Grind, Did much better on the wet sanding than previous which is probably the suckiest part of the whole process, Decided to go with Stabilized box elder burl for the handles, I do like the look as it is a little unusual. I would have liked to richen the finish however, when this burl was stabilized, it gets infused with resin which goes throughout the wood which means, you are limited to what you can finish it with, mostly wax or a CA finish. You can also just polish the handle out and leave it which is what I have done here, The resin is waterproof and can not absorb water.

I finally learned how to do the final sharpen on the grinder before I go to the stones, cut about 1 hour out of the process, It is however a bit sketchy as one slip will basically ruin all the work that went into it.

This is the 4th knife, all of which I grinned freehand, This one I got the closest to what my original intention was, I am working on a jig and have (2) more of this style yet to grind I will see how it goes.

The next style of knife I have drawn up is a small skinner, I have (3) blanks cut out and (2) more to cut out and (1) already ground ready to be heat treated, I like to heat treat at least (5) knives in a session and then hang the blades so I can pick one to work on and also because once my little forge is up to temp, its a breeze.

Tonight, I set up my milling attachment on my mini lathe (since I don't have a mill as of yet) I want to slot the top of the skinner and cut some jibbing along the top of the spine for added purchase on the knife, It could go well or it could go badly, I figure there is a 50/50 shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking good let us know when you start taking orders!!!!!! I also take one of those doors you made!
The door, I am confident, to build for you as I know it will last a lifetime, If you want one, just let me know, The Knife, well, its a new hobby and Im not ready to take anyones money for them as of yet. But I thank you for the compliment

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.