Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Knife #2 complete

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  zx9allday 
#1 ·
Maybe one of these times, the end product will turn out exactly as I Designed, Darn mistakes that lead to a little more grinding etc.......... its a learning experience and I do enjoy it thus far. This particular knife, is tough, I beat on it quite a bit, chopping wood, spoon drilling and it really held the edge (trying to see if it would fail under normal use). Yeah, I know my file work in the spine is not so good but I gave it a shot and went with it, next time it will be much better. The Scales went very well that G10 is some nasty stuff to machine, good thing I have dust collection and respirator.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I am no where near being able to take someones money for what I am making at this point, I have a ways to go experience wise. I have chosen to take the route of repetition and repeatability meaning, I have (4) more ground and (2) of them have been heat treated all similar style and each one is getting better. Besides, you have my Number, if you wanted to borrow it or something

#6 ·
I like it. You do nice work!

I do silversmithing as a hobby. Some things I learned are:
- it never goes as planned
- sometimes the metal wants a different shape than you want
- you learn more working through your mistakes than if everything goes perfectly.

#9 ·
Thank You and I am finding that you are correct on all counts. The Important thing, is that I am really enjoying it, I work with wood all day and quite frankly, I have reached the level where, I can do about anything with my eyes closed, not much is a challenge anymore, where i don't know, something about working with metal it is just enjoyable (except for when I get too close to the grinder with my knuckle)

#12 ·
I am working with 1084, I bought like 5, 48" lengths of it, looked for it again tonight and they were OOS, so I wound up buying (3) 48" lengths of 1095 and (1) 3"x48" length of 80CRV2. I am not sure how they will be, but I figured I would try it out. The 80CRV2, I intend for a winter project where I would like to make a cleaver type and an actual bowie, The 1095 is just because I couldn't get the 1084 so that will be used for various styles.

My problem is, that I am kind of all over the place, drawing things up, I am really trying just to stick with (3) types and styles of knives until I can get it down. It does not help That I have a endless supply of 1/4" aluminum which I use to make templates out of to see if I like the design or not. One nice thing about this is that not only do I get to actually hold it, touch it and feel it before I waste steel, when I need a paper stencil for the actual cut out, I just throw the template on my copy machine and copy it can also enlarge and reduce the scale which is nice.

I have been hand drawing, but will be switching over to CAD to streamline a bit. Just got to figure out what Part I can use my CNC machine for? I was thinking engraving of some type.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.