Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Kids send powerful message in antigun video

2K views 39 replies 32 participants last post by  Captain Will 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
More Stupid Anti-Gun Videos:
When will the stupidity end?

http://news.yahoo.co...-142207606.html

A Bay Area photographer and mother fed up with U.S. gun violence has produced a powerful video using children to carry her message. The three-and-a-half-minute video - shot in black and white by Dana Spaeth-Williams - features photos of 78 children, each holding a flash card that reveals a letter addressed to parents.
"Dear Mom and Dad," the letter begins. "You slather me with sunscreen, buckle my seatbelt and enforce my curfew. You protect me from pesticides, second-hand smoke and germs. You tell me to look both ways, wear my helmet and eat my vegetables. Yet every day you leave me in danger that no other developed nation would tolerate."
According to the video, children in the United States are 17 times more likely to be killed by a gun than children in the next 25 developed countries combined.
"My country is turning a blind eye on my right to live," the letter continues. "And it's time to do something about it."
The video calls on parents to use their voice, vote and "buying power" to support "businesses with gun sense."
The video, released in July, is getting a second look online in light of last week's shooting in Bell, Fla., where a 51-year-old man gunned down his daughter and six grandchildren before killing himself.
"Once again, a senseless act of gun violence has destroyed a family and children's lives," Capt. Mark Kelly, co-founder of Americans for Responsible Solutions, said in a statement released in the wake of the killings. "And once again, the presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation led to a deadly and sad outcome. While we still have not learned all of the details, we know that under our laws, the individual who committed this monstrous crime should not have had access to a gun."
Kelly and his wife, former Ariz. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, have become prominent activists for gun law reform since her recovery from deadly 2011 shootings in Tucson. Giffords was shot in the head by gunman Jared Loughner. Six people were killed and 12 others were wounded in the shootings. Loughner was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
"Gabby and I can only pray for the victims and ask how this might have been prevented," Kelly said. "Like so many other Americans tonight, our hearts are in Bell, Florida."
Every day in America, 52 children are shot and eight are killed, Spaeth-Williams' video states.
"Guns kill more children under 5 than law officers in the line of duty," the letter continues. "A gun at home does not protect me. A gun at home makes me 3 times as likely to be murdered, 3-5 times as likely to commit suicide and 4 times as likely to cause my own accidental death. How many statistics do you need?"

See less See more
#8 ·
Pawns, or prawns, or abusers of tragedy aside, both sides have to look at the the tragedy of kids being shot with honest and open eyes. Anti-gun need to understand that outright banning guns will not make the numbers disappear, it will make them sky rocket because nobody will be able to defend themselves from the criminals who really could not give rat's a$$ about gun laws.
Pro-gun need to understand that not all of us practice gun safety at home or a range or while hunting. We all know that there are people who keep loaded guns out in the open with kids in the house. We all know that there are yahoos who mouth off in the media and come across as half mad and half delusionaly psychotic while defending gun rights.
I hate, HATE, that dead children are being used by both sides of the argument. I think we all agree that not everybody should be allowed to have a gun (mental illness), that guns MUST be stored safely and away from kids, and that it is our obligation to protect the kids. As a mother, I feel I have better chance to protect them, if I am armed and if, when age appropriate, they are taught proper gun use and gun safety.

#22 ·
Pawns, or prawns, or abusers of tragedy aside, both sides have to look at the the tragedy of kids being shot with honest and open eyes. Anti-gun need to understand that outright banning guns will not make the numbers disappear, it will make them sky rocket because nobody will be able to defend themselves from the criminals who really could not give rat's a$$ about gun laws.
Pro-gun need to understand that not all of us practice gun safety at home or a range or while hunting. We all know that there are people who keep loaded guns out in the open with kids in the house. We all know that there are yahoos who mouth off in the media and come across as half mad and half delusionaly psychotic while defending gun rights.
I hate, HATE, that dead children are being used by both sides of the argument. I think we all agree that not everybody should be allowed to have a gun (mental illness), that guns MUST be stored safely and away from kids, and that it is our obligation to protect the kids. As a mother, I feel I have better chance to protect them, if I am armed and if, when age appropriate, they are taught proper gun use and gun safety.
No group is perfect. But I'm not willing to give up any of my rights because of a small minority. More kids die in car accidents than could ever be attributed to guns (at least in the US). Address the major problems first, not those which are politically advantageous. Inconsistent in a society that by and large preaches irresponsibility, recreational drugs and even child abuse (NAMBLA).

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
On the surface these are powerful stats, but I wonder how many of those kids were in homes with illegal guns?

I also wonder what the murder rate is for the areas where those kids are living.... For example, does that stat hold up for kids living in Washington DC or Detroit? I am betting the stats may show that their chance of being murdered in those areas are less if their parent owns a LEGAL gun.

To me the follow up should be a discussion about safe gun storage, safe handling and education. I have a 7 and 10 year old. They know not to touch a gun and cannot access them. I would LOVE for them to have a class every grade year discussing firearms and how to handle them. We have sex Ed, we have drug awareness, why not firearms safety?

#11 ·
How many people are kidnapped each day in the US?

In the interest of protecting our children I propose we ban strangers and family members. They are the most likely to abduct/kidnap our kids.
Statistics are incredibly easy to manipulate, a poll, survey or sampling can be designed to provide almost any desired outcome. The shame is that people buy into this drivel.

797,500 children (younger than 18) were reported missing in a one-year period of time studied resulting in an average of 2,185 children being reported missing each day.

203,900 children were the victims of family abductions.

58,200 children were the victims of non-family abductions.

115 children were the victims of "stereotypical" kidnapping. (These crimes involve someone the child does not know or someone of slight acquaintance, who holds the child overnight, transports the child 50 miles or more, kills the child, demands ransom, or intends to keep the child permanently.)

#12 ·
Whatever........ I keep my guns stored in a safe where they belong when I am not around, these bull anti commercials are just propaganda. But did you notice that they singled out pistols? I knew this was coming. Folks if there is Any pistol that you want or have thought about getting, I suggest you start buying now before they initiate the "drop test" here once they do your choices will be decreased by at least 50%. say it wont happen? They have done enough?they cant? Then you are fooled, we said that in California and remember no matter how further advance you may "think" that NY is in comparison to CA, just know this, NY is actually about 10yrs behind CA in legislative BS and NY ALWAYS follows what CALIFORNIA does eventually in one way or another

#15 ·
My title for this video: Adults training Subjects to seek perceived security instead of true freedom through individual responsibility.

#16 ·
Someone needs to educate the ignorant little twits that without individual citizens bearing arms, there would be NO opportunity to post their bitchy little videos, because England would still be running things and there would be no such thing as the US Constitution. If it's any consolation, the libtards will be the first to go in the event of any major catastrophe. As soon as Starbucks is closed, they'll be throwing themselves off the bridges.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
That's it. I have f@#$ing had it.
I am busy and have to do some traveling for next two weeks. When I am back, I am making a counter video.
I will write a script and I do have equipment and experience to do it. I need volunteers.
I will need kids. I will also need some grown ups.
PM me if you want to be a part of it.

#29 ·
Hmmm....I wonder how they define "kids"? I'm thinking a lot of these "kids" come from places like Chicago and are gang bangers..but let's not get mired down with facts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.