Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a ticket, cop says I was tailgating. I probably was too close because the car was creeping on a major road left lane. I did get close when the left turn lane began to get into the left turn lane. I know its a he said, he said situation. Any reason to plead not guilty? There is no fine amount listed on the ticket so if I just plead guilty I don't even know what the fine will be. The funny thing is that I got rear ended in my car 3 times since I got it May of 2013 so I am usually very careful about tailgating.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Received a ticket, cop says I was tailgating. I probably was too close because the car was creeping on a major road left lane. I did get close when the left turn lane began to get into the left turn lane. I know its a he said, he said situation. Any reason to plead not guilty? There is no fine amount listed on the ticket so if I just plead guilty I don't even know what the fine will be. The funny thing is that I got rear ended in my car 3 times since I got it May of 2013 so I am usually very careful about tailgating.
Sounds like he was just out to give a ticket. I barley see scpd even enforce speeding tickets as long as most of the other traffic is doing the same mph. A little weird there's no amount, I don't know what to tell you about pleading though. Sorry man.

·
Borders, Language, Culture
4,738 Posts
Is the violation clearly noted? I've fought & won tickets based on how they were written.

·
airbrushart
5,503 Posts
Generally they plea down no points but they want your money! I had one years ago, I asked the trooper how can I be tailgating on the parkway when I'm doing just like everyone else is doing, he take it to cournt, I did the ADA says OK not guilt to tailgating but you had an altered exhaust you want get any points but you have to pay a fine. Thats the price for living in new york!

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
The officer needs to pace the speed and know the distance between both vehicles. I've made DWI arrest from vehicle's tailgating.
I would plead not guilty.
What exactly is the scientific formula for "tailgating"? And how come none of the HOV monitors ever enforced it when I rode a motorcycle and a-holes would cruise 6' off my rear tire?

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,977 Posts
Tailgating, seriously? SCPD or Trooper?

Plea not guilty, they will drop it to a parking ticket.
You don't say what jurisdiction but everything down here exc NYC is now not NYS TVB so they will plead down on a not guilty plea

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.