Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tonight, I finished my first Knife out of 1084 steel, with G10 scales. I made allot of mistakes, and it is not perfect for sure, it took me 6 hours (which was quite a bit of figuring things out) plus 3hrs heat treat time/temper total of 9 hours to complete, In my haste, I put a solid pin in the rear when I intended to put a hollow one for a lanyard, because I was impatient, I chose to use 1/4" pins instead of 1/8" pins, I did not spend the time with polish that I should have ( I really have to learn how to properly polish steel)

Now The Good, It Took an edge like a razor with minimal work, carved wood, cut paper, cut cardboard, carved some hardwood and held its edge. light strop and it was shaving sharp. Baton thru some 1" branches, no problem, (other than it is rather small to baton but I had to try). Although small, it feels quite nice in my hand. I also did a 90 degree on the spine, which worked great for stripping bark.

What is really funny, is that the design of this knife is not exactly what I intended, Close but not exact which was a result of correcting mistakes, in the end, I am pleased with how it came out but am unsure If I can actually duplicate it.

Now I have to make a sheath, I am thinking a kydex pocket sheath or a belt sheath that rides sideways.

Sorry about the disorientated photos, I tried to fix them but cant figure out how, if someone knows how, please let me in on the secret

Attachments

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
Nice work - you can always drill out the solid rived for a lanyard hole.

Reactions: rubbermittens

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
A matching big brother (legal limit) to this would be very cool.

·
Clinger
4,810 Posts
If you dress up as a pirate you can carry a cutlass...... and people would point and say .." hay, look over there.. a pirate" ... and you would just smile and think .... they never even noticed the cutlass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.