Long Island Shooters Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
11,547 Posts

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
I believe every purchaser of these DLD others will be receiving a letter.
I agree that they should get lawyers.
I am sure some will claim they sold it out of state. If the SCPD is giving 15 days to surrender the firearm. I would consult an attorney, one that is familiar with firearms laws.

·
Still a David Crockett kid
2,762 Posts
I had to get an attorney when I purchased MKS M14 receivers from a LGS "legally" and ATF said no bueno . Make sure if you need to surrender the "contraband": you get a signed letter from the ATF agent

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
The letter sounds like a bit of a fishing trip.
I do not have one of these guns, but could someone in receipt of a letter possibly ask the police for the serial number of the weapon in question, to be sure to bring in the correct one?

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
The letter sounds like a bit of a fishing trip.
I do not have one of these guns, but could someone in receipt of a letter possibly ask the police for the serial number of the weapon in question, to be sure to bring in the correct one?
I believe many of Jerry's customers are cooperating with this criminal complaint. Hopefully, Jerry's customers will be reimbursed.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Are they demanding the return of the firearm if it was removed from the state? Say, to PA or Florida, where one also has a second home? I also agree with a previous poster to have the county provide one with the serial number of the firearm they are looking for. The letter, as is is vague, IMHO.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Are they demanding the return of the firearm if it was removed from the state? Say, to PA or Florida, where one also has a second home? I also agree with a previous poster to have the county provide one with the serial number of the firearm they are looking for. The letter, as is is vague, IMHO.
The DA definitely obtained the necessary BATF records through a court order. My opinion is the customer should contact an attorney. Jerry's Firearms attorney has sent letters to it's customers. This could be a very expensive loss in the end for these customers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chester was playing very dirty, the DA had enough evidence from customers to go forward with a press conference using a firearm used in a murder. He took a plea to avoid a very long prison sentence.
Dirty? Actually, the press conference was completely unethical and would have led to a mistrial. Chester took a plea to avoid the significant costs associated with going to trial. The extremely light sentence (which includes NO probation after sentence is complete) and the reduction to the lowest non-violent felony shows exactly how little of a case they had. Too bad for Jerry. Nice guy.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Dirty? Actually, the press conference was completely unethical and would have led to a mistrial. Chester took a plea to avoid the significant costs associated with going to trial. The extremely light sentence (which includes NO probation after sentence is complete) and the reduction to the lowest non-violent felony shows exactly how little of a case they had. Too bad for Jerry. Nice guy.
Hopefully Jerry can fight this and win. Chester had made a few fatal errors with that case. He had a good attorney. One year in prison.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Correct. But most of the "fixed mag" guns are still CAPABLE of accepting a detachable mag. So a lower with a built in mag, like a Garand, would have to be legal, but the mag locks maybe not since they can be reversed and then a DETACHABLE MAG can be inserted.
I pinned my own magazine with a set screw. I also did NOT install a bolt catch or magazine catch (and included springs). This way, even if they say that my set screw could be removed, the gun will still not be able to accept a magazine, as there's no way for the mag to stay locked in the gun.

I drilled a hole between the front pivot pin and directly into my 10 round magazine. I then tapped a thread for a set screw (I forget the size now). Voila! A pinned magazine into a firearm that is not capable of accepting another magazine (the set screw is the item holding the magazine in place).

·
Registered
843 Posts
A couple of things:
1. If this is true, we might get an actual Court ruling on what is "legal". That is probably not a good thing.

2. If he lost his NYS dealers license he could no longer possess an "assault weapon" for LEO sales or anything else. So he could not take in a standard AR-15 and apply a mag lock or whatever.
I think its a great thing for a court ruling on what is legal. SCOTUS would do a smack down on NY State, as this is a constitutional right that cannot be arbitrarily discarded. Furthermore, since there appears to be no known ruling on the legality of 'features' there's no way to get the law over-ruled in court.

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
Not when the head of the screw is filled with epoxy
I was told I had to use the epoxy trick by the NY State Police hotline for my Thordsen stock mounting screw.
luckily I haven't had to change the safety spring. It would be almost if not completely impossible without damage.
making equipment unserviceable to comply with a stupid law should require the state to replace the equipment when service is required that is made impossible due to the law. (e.g. sealed magazines and welded floor plates)

61 - 80 of 87 Posts