Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Either way we need to rally and support Jerry

these loose laws in New York could potentially put many AR-15 owners in jail.

plus we needed a court case to defend our rights. Might as well be this one

its almost ten years since the safe act passed and all the issues back then still persist today

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

its almost ten years since the safe act passed and all the issues back then still persist today
100% correct. ten years and still no definitive answers on what is and is not legal. This is not something the State can just say we are gonna wing it.Legal gun owners want clarification of laws the state passed.

·
Registered
337 Posts
We need to see what he is actually charged with.

If they are saying that his fixed mag kits are not legal, that needs to be litigated once and for all.

I have been saying for a while that these may be problematic, since the receiver is still CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE.

If this is the case, there are now many thousands of new Felons in New York!

A totally featureless guy would seem to be fine, once there is an evil feature that may be unlawful, at least a Judge and Appeals Court would need to decide.

So this could be a test case put forth by the County DA.

·
Registered
11,581 Posts

Only a lawsuit to challenge the NYSP to outline what is legal. If anyone remembers a few years ago. Every gun store stopped selling the NY compliant AR with the Thordsen Stock.
That was ultimately stopped, we know any legal Spur or Thordsen AR platform sold to an FFL in New York is legal. What the Safe Act said anyone wishing to register an AR had to register it or make it legal by removing what are considered AW parts.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Only a lawsuit to challenge the NYSP to outline what is legal. If anyone remembers a few years ago. Every gun store stopped selling the NY compliant AR with the Thordsen Stock.
That was ultimately stopped, we know any legal Spur or Thordsen AR platform sold to an FFL in New York is legal. What the Safe Act said anyone wishing to register an AR had to register it or make it legal by removing what are considered AW parts.
Correct. But most of the "fixed mag" guns are still CAPABLE of accepting a detachable mag. So a lower with a built in mag, like a Garand, would have to be legal, but the mag locks maybe not since they can be reversed and then a DETACHABLE MAG can be inserted.

·
Registered
11,581 Posts
Correct. But most of the "fixed mag" guns are still CAPABLE of accepting a detachable mag. So a lower with a built in mag, like a Garand, would have to be legal, but the mag locks maybe not since they can be reversed and then a DETACHABLE MAG can be inserted.
Is this the reason Jerry was arrested, for selling parts to modify an AR to be fixed?
I recall, the Safe Act said it must be permanent. Epoxy was recommended by Thordsen when installing their stock. That is the gray area many can't get an exact answer to. Many AR owners did remove the necessary parts to be compliant.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I dont want to go out over my skis but I am leaning towards him selling "others" I am hearing from some sources but like the fake MSM who knows but more than one source within the NYSP has said others????But who knows.

·
LIF Official Supporter
2,360 Posts
Is this the reason Jerry was arrested, for selling parts to modify an AR to be fixed?
I recall, the Safe Act said it must be permanent. Epoxy was recommended by Thordsen when installing their stock. That is the gray area many can't get an exact answer to. Many AR owners did remove the necessary parts to be compliant.
Only thing referred to as permanent was modifying magazines

·
Registered
847 Posts
A couple of things:
1. If this is true, we might get an actual Court ruling on what is "legal". That is probably not a good thing.
I have to disagree. It is very hard to fight the shadow. I want to know what is or isn't legal. IMO, it is ambiguity which keeps the people afraid of the government.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Fixed mag guns not legal? Hmm, I have seen these fixed guns being sold at several gun shows in Long Island and Upstate over the past few years. How can they be illegal? Have also seen them being shot at Mitchell field. Gray area in the unsafe act?
Magazines fixed with the JFS kit can be removed and changed back with a small allen wrench. In other words, field changeable.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts