Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Well got a little too dremel happy trying to take a welded brake off a barrel. Thought I was still in the brake but nope...ate threads. The brake will still screw on and off tight. Wanted to have a welded thread protector put on. If it screws on good is it still safe to shoot?

Oh...I'd like to hit myself over the head with the barrel right now!! ????????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Listen up,I don't dial 911.
3,599 Posts
Go a little easier on your self ,we all make mistake. its fine in my opinion. Other engineer type experts chime in . Mainly just wanted you to take it easy, there will be plenty more mistakes down the line. The key is not to make the same ones twice.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
7,979 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If the old brake was able to screw on and off the barrel it is probably clean. The threads dont look to bad from what i can see. See if you can screw on the thread protector. At this point idk why you would want it.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I dont care about the old brake. It's garbage at this point. I want to pin and weld a thread protector on for safe act compliance.

If I buy a thread protector and it screws on no prob. I will have it welded on. I want to make sure the barrel isnt going to blow up under pressure for getting a little deep into the threads.

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,768 Posts
Your fine...the thread protector will go on, pin and weld no big deal. The crown isn't damage so there's no need to mess with re crowning and there isn't enough pressure to blow through that little damage and I highly doubt it would have any effect on accuracy. Continue your course of action and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great! Glad to hear the good news! However in the future I will be even more careful.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grind off the rest of the threads and then you're compliant?

Ryan
I guess that would be compliant but would look kind of crude (IMO). These safe act compliant builds are hard enough to look at as it is. ????

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,768 Posts
Chase the threads and put on a thread protector. The hard part may be finding the 1/2"x28 tpi die.
When he unscrewed the old thread protector it probably already chased them for him. It looks worse than it is IMO but the thread cuts look crisp and free from burrs. I'd bet the new one goes on with no issue at all.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts