Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just boggles my mind.

GOP craves Blas' 'Eva' destruction
GOP leaders searching for a challenger to topple Mayor de Blasio in 2017 are so excited that Democratic charter-school champion Eva Moskowitz is weighing a run that they're open to letting her enter the race as a Republican.

"I would be very excited about Eva running for mayor. Education is a top priority for the next mayor and Eva is eminently qualified to do that. She's outstanding," Adele Malpass, chair of the Manhattan Republican Party, said Monday.

Malpass said wealthy backers of charters are prepared to bankroll a Moskowitz campaign.

Moskowitz, who, as a member of the City Council chaired the Education Committee, is the founder and CEO of the city's largest charter network, Success Academy. She has said she's considering taking on de Blasio, but would need GOP permission to run as a Republican.

Students at Success - many from the city's most impoverished neighborhoods - consistently post among the top scores on state math and reading tests.

State GOP leader Ed Cox, who worked closely with Moskowitz when he chaired the SUNY panel that approves charter schools, called her a visionary in education.

"Eva is fighting the good fight. She's worked with us on the civil rights issue of our time. The results from her charter schools in educating inner-city kids have been terrific," Cox said.

Over the past weeks, a conga line of Democrats has indicated they are open to running against de Blasio, including businessman Don Peebles, Comptroller Scott Stringer, Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. and Public Advocate Letitia James.

Political insiders said de Blasio would be difficult to beat in a Democratic primary dominated by minorities, left-leaning voters and unions - unless he falters and an insurgent can chip into his base.

A challenger on the GOP line faces an even more daunting task, but former Mayor Rudy Giuliani said he's proof that a GOP fusion candidate with a reform agenda can beat the odds.

GOP county leaders can use a "Wilson Pakula" procedure under state law to allow a Democrat to run on the Republican line.

The practice has been frowned upon - particularly after two party leaders were convicted of scheming to sell the ballot line to former Democratic state Sen. Malcolm Smith.

GOP officials said they prefer to run a candidate who is a registered party member, but are open to accommodating Moskowitz.

She also has more than a year to switch registrations.

·
Borders, Language, Culture
4,738 Posts
I don't know anything about her & I don't see the great objection based on your posting. What am I missing?

Reactions: nymet100

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
After Rudy left you knew the city was just going to return to its slow slide into oblivion.
At this point, which I find highly unlikely, you need more people like Rudy to run the city in perpetuity, otherwise this will all happen over and over again like Groundhog Day.
The City needs a Warden, not a politician.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I was living in Manhattan during the tail end of dinkins reign and when Rudy took over. In a very short period of time Guliani had the city running much better and it seemed safer almost overnight. I liken dibassios run thus far to the dinkins debacle with the city spiraling down the toilet, which might open the door to a much more conservative mayor the next go around. Hopefully it's gets worse in NYC so voters eyes can be reopened to the many failures of liberalism.
It's a different century now and the voting population has tilted much more to the left but there's still a chance that smarter heads will prevail.

·
4,738 Posts
We don't need anymore RINOs. I'm fairly sure she isn't a conservative.
I hear this a lot on here. I'm just not sure what it means anymore. Was Reagan a Conservative? Not by Barry Goldwater standards. I wonder if we could even agree as to what a Conservative is on LIF. I guess if they're pro-gun, they're Conservative?

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
I hear this a lot on here. I'm just not sure what it means anymore. Was Reagan a Conservative? Not by Barry Goldwater standards. I wonder if we could even agree as to what a Conservative is on LIF. I guess if they're pro-gun, they're Conservative?
No sense in comparing to past era. Back then issues were not what they are now. There are real conservatives in the here and now.
The confusion for some comes from focusing on just one issue. That issue could be very important but a RINO may get 1 or 2 right and fail miserably in the rest. Unfortunately, this also puts in doubt his commitment to those good stances.
IMHO, what we need is a Constitutional Conservative.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
You're surprised the the GOP of NY is excited about a Democrat?
The same party that brought us the likes of Skelos, Boyle and Losquadro?
The same party that supported Skelos even after he and his son were indicted?
The same party that helped Cuomo pass the SAFE act?
The same party who barely supported their own candidate in the last Governor's race?
The same party who's Nassau County Exec supported Cuomo in the last election?

I'd actually be more surprised if they didn't support a Democrat to be honest.

·
4,738 Posts
No sense in comparing to past era. Back then issues were not what they are now. There are real conservatives in the here and now.
The confusion for some comes from focusing on just one issue. That issue could be very important but a RINO may get 1 or 2 right and fail miserably in the rest. Unfortunately, this also puts in doubt his commitment to those good stances.
IMHO, what we need is a Constitutional Conservative.
Can we be honest here & just say that:

First, there are not many Constitutional Conservatives. Probably single digits in the GOP.

Second, Constitutional Conservatives would not generally seek office. What's the profit in it?

·
Registered
710 Posts
You're surprised the the GOP of NY is excited about a Democrat?
The same party that brought us the likes of Skelos, Boyle and Losquadro?
The same party that supported Skelos even after he and his son were indicted?
The same party that helped Cuomo pass the SAFE act?
The same party who barely supported their own candidate in the last Governor's race?
The same party who's Nassau County Exec supported Cuomo in the last election?

I'd actually be more surprised if they didn't support a Democrat to be honest.
Did people forget the NYC GOP ran and elected Bloomberg?

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is a problem in any city, town or county that is HEAVY democrat. After a while, the talented republican politicians move to areas they can actually win in or be competitive. I live in Town of North Hempstead, in Nassau County, once the MECCA of the Republican party on Long Island. 25 years ago, the THEN REP. town supervisor lost the town due to the incinerator in Port Washington he pushed. Republicans NEVER won the town again. EVER. The town and all it's councilmanic seats were democratic, with the exception of 1 (now 2 but I don't know for how much longer). The dems RULE the SCHOOL with a super majority. We have had real good republican candidates over the years, but it is almost impossible to win due to the 3:1 democratic registration and also they vote party line and due to the district lines, drown out all republican votes. I do not foresee the town going Republican anytime soon, and the pool of good candidates has evaporated. GONE! So, this is what has happened in NYC. Anyone wanting to run, unless propped up by the State party with BIG BUCKS has no chance in hell to win. ZERO. Especially since more people are voting in the city because their programs DEPEND on it. It's an ugly situation.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Can we be honest here & just say that:

First, there are not many Constitutional Conservatives. Probably single digits in the GOP.

Second, Constitutional Conservatives would not generally seek office. What's the profit in it?
It only takes one right guy to start things in the right direction.
Profit…. since when are Ferengi interested in the Constitution?
Seriously, the profit is very much there, but it's a gradual process rather than the fast swindling done by the democrats and RINOs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.