Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a "renewable" licensing area-Nassau County. I have a question concerning the "re-certification" of "upstate" licenses.

There was a case where a licensee possessed a "lifetime" license that was unrestricted. He amended his license several times, adding or deleting pistols without a problem. While he had his license, the Licensing Officer decided to do "proper cause" checks on unrestricted licenses at the time of any amendments. This licensee visited the Licensing Officer to amend his license, to add and/or delete a pistol and the Officer did a "proper cause" check, determining that the licensee didn't meet the new requirements for unrestricted carry, thereby restricting the license to "target and hunting".

The Licensee sued and lost. The thought was that the licenses could only be restricted if the License was re-newed, which it wasn't since it was issued in a "non-renewable" county or amended-which it was upon adding or deleting a pistol. Otherwise, if the Licensee did not amend or renew his license, the Officer could not restrict it.

Now they are calling this new program "Re-certification", not "re-newing" of upstate licenses. My question is this:

If the license is RE-CERTIFIED, with no amendments of any kind, does this open the door to a "proper cause" check, similar to the above mentioned circumstances? Because if it does, that is the real threat. Not verifying if the Licensee is alive or at the same address, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
The Westchester license has recertification (pre safe). It has a field for the licensing officer to sign off on it. I imagine that it is a lower threshold for scrutiny than filling an am debt, but anything is possible in this place. I would imagine judges upstate would en mass start restricting full carry licenses. They're elected judges and would face retribution from voters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts