Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 yo TV set finally croaked - I scoped out a 65" Samsung 1080p LED set at Costco and don't have any relatives with a truck or a mini van. Is it safe to strap a boxed TV to a roof of a Honda Accord with ratcheting straps?

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
As long as it's strapped in all four directions and you don't strap so tight it's bends the TV.
If I were you I'd rent a truck from Home Depot or Lowe's. It will be the best money you spend. If they ask what you need a truck for tell them you have to return 10 80lb bags of concrete you bought...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kinds of TV? If it's a flat panel the odds are the power supply is the culprit. I replaced the power supply and main board of my in-laws Vizio for a whopping $23 I got on eBay.
It's a Mits DLP and I was praying for it die ;-)

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
I bought my 65" and 73" 3D HDTVs from Amazon and had them delivered to my front door. Bought TVs from best buy delivered to front door. Only 2-3 days to arrive.. All free shipping. Strapping to a roof will flex and might break the screen. Will also be buying a 92" soon from Amazon.

As an av/movie buff I find the best equipment for the best prices online. Check online..usually the best prices and free shipping and total convenience.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought my 65" and 73" 3D HDTVs from Amazon and had them delivered to my front door. Bought TVs from best buy delivered to front door. Only 2-3 days to arrive.. All free shipping. Strapping to a roof will flex and might break the screen. Will also be buying a 92" soon from Amazon.

As an av/movie buff I find the best equipment for the best prices online. Check online..usually the best prices and free shipping and total convenience.
Amazon is selling the same set for $300 more - looks like I'll be renting a truck tomorrow morning.

·
Banned
5,971 Posts

. LIF Super Bowl party at Destros.

·
Gunecologist
2,251 Posts
PC Richards. Free delivery and install and if you ever need service, (I did) they are fantastic.
See if they will compete with Costco on price.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Amazon is selling the same set for $300 more - looks like I'll be renting a truck tomorrow morning.
Another thing to consider is condition on delivery. With amazon for instance we moved in my 73 incher into the home theater (no white glove service, the delivery guy just helped) and I inspected and fired it up before signing. Any flaws found at the point of my house and goes back on the truck, no sale, no issues. Total convenience at no additional cost. Now renting a truck once you buy, you're on your own. If it gets dropped or damaged once you leave the store that's on you.

Even though they're light, you'll need two people to move it properly and you don't want to flex it. Most tvs that size usually get shipped upright and strapped. Just things to consider, but if it's the model you really want and has that much savings to comparable online models (as a electronics/ av buff I'm intruiged) then go ahead carefully and good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.