Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Sharp Shooter!
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is a picture of two factory low cap mags: One has a shortened steel body with plastic insert the other one is practically a hi-cap with one dimple on each side which limit the number of rounds you can load. I really like the one with dimples not only because the stress on magazine spring is very low but also because it's a relatively simple modification that anyone can do with a proper punch and a dimple die. Would it be legal to do it assuming you get mag parts, modify the body and then put them together yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Sharp Shooter!
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's illegal to be in possession of standard (so-called hi-cap) magazines in NYS unless you are LEO.
But hypothetically…. owners were allowed to permanently convert the mags before the deadline.
Yo were not required to have these conversions notarized.
Understood. But technically speaking, can you obtain hi cap mag lose parts, not the assembled mag itself, modify them and put together a lo-cap mag?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I believe that it would be legal to do since after unsafe was passed, one option with normal capacity AR mags was to permanently block them to only accept 10 rounds. That being said, where are you going to get mag parts? I don't think it would be legal for you to have normal capacity mags to make these modifications. Just my initial thoughts. Of course I could be wrong.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I believe that it would be legal to do since after unsafe was passed, one option with normal capacity AR mags was to permanently block them to only accept 10 rounds. That being said, where are you going to get mag parts? I don't think it would be legal for you to have normal capacity mags to make these modifications. Just my initial thoughts. Of course I could be wrong.
I believe you are correct. That's why I added the part about the notary. All magazine conversions were done before the deadline.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It's illegal to be in possession of standard (so-called hi-cap) magazines in NYS unless you are LEO.
But hypothetically…. owners were allowed to permanently convert the mags before the deadline.
You were not required to have these conversions notarized.
You beat me to it. I can't type too fast on my phone, lol.

·
Sharp Shooter!
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let's put the LEO or preunsafe owned mags aside. I don't fall under either one of those categories. I'm talking about getting lose mag parts, modifying them and making a low cap mag. I understand the point of rivetting the insert but again it doesn't apply if the mag body itself is modified with dimples (note it's a permanent modification). I didn't find any refetence in unsafe act that would prohibit an ordinary nys citizen from doing it.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,454 Posts
Let's put the LEO or preunsafe owned mags aside. I don't fall under either one of those categories. I'm talking about getting lose mag parts, modifying them and making a low cap mag. I understand the point of rivetting the insert but again it doesn't apply if the mag body itself is modified with dimples (note it's a permanent modification). I didn't find any refetence in unsafe act that would prohibit an ordinary nys citizen from doing it.
Yes, this would be perfectly legal. There is no constructive intent clause in any part of the NYS SAFE act. Until they are assembled, a pile of parts is just that. You may not legally assemble the parts without first modifying them to be low capacity.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm not understanding the "mag parts" bit. The part that you would be dimpling appears to be the actual magazine body. How are you legally obtaining that since you clearly stated that you are not LEO or in possession of these pre-unsafe?

I am under the understanding that if someone shipped you all of the parts to assemble a standard capacity magazine that would be illegal.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,454 Posts

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,454 Posts
Really? From where?
Anywhere within the country. All I'm saying is it's not illegal.

I have no comment on how hard finding magazine parts is and whether or not the shipper wants to deal with trying to understand NY laws.

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,785 Posts
Nope, you can be shipped a box full of parts. Only illegal once they're assembled.

Riveting is fine, but legally you would have to do the modification while still in PA. Driving across the state line with the magazine unmodified is illegal.
Okay, but what if I bought the mags in PA and brought them disassembled into NY.... Then do the modifications before reassembly?

It is a goofy law, just seeing what a person can do without getting jammed up.

Reactions: RandLee
1 - 20 of 32 Posts