Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
King Coal and Lord of the Blue Ladies
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys I'm thinking about getting a nice Shovel head. I love the old school stuff. It wouldn't be my main bike but might be cool to tool around with on an odd Sunday or so. Thoughts..opinions..input welcome

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
Lately people seem to think shovels are the new Pans- $6K for a AMF era shovel? C'mon now. I mean, that metallic turd brown paint and the tufted leather seat that looks like somebody made it out of a La-Z-Boy ottoman are cool and all, but....

·
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PM sent

·
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lately people seem to think shovels are the new Pans- $6K for a AMF era shovel? C'mon now. I mean, that metallic turd brown paint and the tufted leather seat that looks like somebody made it out of a La-Z-Boy ottoman are cool and all, but....
EVOs are definitely more reliable and there seems to be plenty of used ones available too. All depends on what your looking for / tastes/ riding style/ or just getting back to basics...6K...would really have to knock your socks off. Everyone thinks they have some retro goldmine nowadays.. look at whats happening to the old 70s Jap bikes.

·
SpeakSoftlyNY
1,846 Posts
Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle
just my thought: next generation
going to carry the torch of the old school rides into the future- look for the jewels and learn the mechanicals of keeping them reliable; they were created before the term plug n play (my 84 met its next rider in Kentucky 6 years ago). Miss her but it was time.

SpeakSoftlyNY

Attachments

·
SUPER STAR
5,479 Posts
I say go for it.

It's been said that the Shovels and ironheads are the last bikes that have a soul. I agree 100%.

I can take my Twin Cam Harley on a trip anywhere and not worry about a thing. You should carry tools when you ride a shovel....eventually you're gonna need them! They were nicknamed Milwaukee Vibrators for a reason....my Shovel is slow, the brakes are marginal and the ignition still has points....how many people even know what points are? LOL! With all of that said, there is just something about the old bikes.

Last spring I picked up my Shovel as a second bike. I got it pretty cheap and stripped it down to the frame. Mostly just did a make-over and fixed a lot of stuff that I didn't like. A small set of tools, lots of blue loctite and factory service manual is all you'll really need.

My buddy thought I was crazy when I bought it (he has a 103" fuel injected Softail) a few weeks ago I stopped by his place with the Shovel and he just kept staring at the bike then he looks at me and asks if he could take a ride...now he can't get it out of his head.

When I found it, it was under a tarp, wet, rusty, peeling paint, oil stains everywhere. Looked like she lived in a shed for a while then got put under a tarp for a few years....but like I said earlier, it was cheap and I like a project.

The day I bought it

View attachment 63576

I stripped her down to the frame

View attachment 63577

Then put it all back together.

View attachment 63578

Best of luck to you with your search.

·
I'm a Michigander now.
5,119 Posts
I'd say go for it. But keep in mind that you have to ENJOY the maintenance. A shovel will require it. If you are good, it will require it less, but still require it. And they are easy to work on.

If you can find an FXR, get it. Don't ask questions, just buy it. Everyone regrets selling their FXR. I wont sell mine. Rides so much nicer than my 05 RoadKing.

Food for thought...

Attachments

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
Those AMF disasters were a handful. I had 2 friends buy new Harleys back in the '70's, one an FLH and the other a Low rider? Both needed lots of attention after we exhausted all avenues with the dealer

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
A buddy bought one the rear rnded a Honda ran good but the frame and forks where bent we order a rigid frame with a little stretch and spring front end (forks cost more then the wreck and new frame) and a new front wheel it came out sweet he still has it and the paint was redone this year haven't seen it thought.

Good luck.

·
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I say go for it.

It's been said that the Shovels and ironheads are the last bikes that have a soul. I agree 100%.

I can take my Twin Cam Harley on a trip anywhere and not worry about a thing. You should carry tools when you ride a shovel....eventually you're gonna need them! They were nicknamed Milwaukee Vibrators for a reason....my Shovel is slow, the brakes are marginal and the ignition still has points....how many people even know what points are? LOL! With all of that said, there is just something about the old bikes.

Last spring I picked up my Shovel as a second bike. I got it pretty cheap and stripped it down to the frame. Mostly just did a make-over and fixed a lot of stuff that I didn't like. A small set of tools, lots of blue loctite and factory service manual is all you'll really need.

My buddy thought I was crazy when I bought it (he has a 103" fuel injected Softail) a few weeks ago I stopped by his place with the Shovel and he just kept staring at the bike then he looks at me and asks if he could take a ride...now he can't get it out of his head.

When I found it, it was under a tarp, wet, rusty, peeling paint, oil stains everywhere. Looked like she lived in a shed for a while then got put under a tarp for a few years....but like I said earlier, it was cheap and I like a project.

The day I bought it

View attachment 63576

I stripped her down to the frame

View attachment 63577

Then put it all back together.

View attachment 63578

Best of luck to you with your search.
Thanks. I am looking for something a long the lines of an FLH...still on the (EVO) fence. I don't mind maintenance as long as it doesn't leave me stranded and Lord knows I have spent many hours getting my Triumph sorted out. This would be my second bike..so any maintenance could be done without urgency as I could ride the other bike. I just love the look and sound of the old engines... I will post here if I find anything cool

·
2,148 Posts
Those AMF disasters were a handful. I had 2 friends buy new Harleys back in the '70's, one an FLH and the other a Low rider? Both needed lots of attention after we exhausted all avenues with the dealer
Im looking for something in the 80s..just pre EVO

something like this...

Attachments

·
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
good era; and you may score one that's been bored out to 103 or thereabouts for that added ump. Drop in a 6 speed and you're golden.

SpeakSoftlyNY
I am not a Harley expert (yet)...what should something like that cost?

·
SpeakSoftlyNY
1,846 Posts
It's several lifetimes ago; my frame of reference was when coffee was closer to a quarter than three dollars. Good source is looking at eBay sold listings, check the local bike shops, Rolling Thunder in Hempstead, another the name escapes me on Montauk highway in Great River .... As for the dealerships, they aren't a primary source for vintage anything. Another personal point; I'd look to an era appropriate mod on anything visible rather than a current mod on a vintage bike; it's just not right looking. Just my two cents. Good luck

SpeakSoftlyNY

·
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's several lifetimes ago; my frame of reference was when coffee was closer to a quarter than three dollars. Good source is looking at eBay sold listings, check the local bike shops, Rolling Thunder in Hempstead, another the name escapes me on Montauk highway in Great River .... As for the dealerships, they aren't a primary source for vintage anything. Another personal point; I'd look to an era appropriate mod on anything visible rather than a current mod on a vintage bike; it's just not right looking. Just my two cents. Good luck

SpeakSoftlyNY
thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.