Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:
Does anyone have any experience, with Internet providers, other than FIOS or CableVision and, if so, what are your thoughts and experiences? I'm thinking about getting rid of FIOS, as our office's ISP but don't find CableVision acceptable, either. What else is out there, what are their costs and how good are they? Thanks.
Gary

·
Registered
251 Posts
They are the only two evils to choose from. For the home, I would choose Fios. The cablevision TV menu and DVR are awful. Internet speeds are terrible too for the cost. For the business I would choose cablevision because their service is superior to Fios. A service call from FIOS could take a few days, cablevision will be there within 2 hours. We absolutely have to have 99% up time on our internet for the business because we use IP phones and send most forms electronically.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
No savings to be had with switching from Cablevision to Verizon every year?

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Gary,

If this is for a commercial (non-residential) account, you can try Lightower. They have a local NOC (network operations center) in Nassau County.

http://www.lightower.com/network-services/business-class-internet-access/

They started out as Exobit, got bought by Long Island Fiber, then Sidera, and finally Lightower.

PS. I don't work for them nor get any benefit from recommending them.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Anyone have any experience with Direct TV or Dish Network internet? I had Direct for TV over 14 years ago & know they had internet at the time but it was really expensive.

·
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gary,

If this is for a commercial (non-residential) account, you can try Lightower. They have a local NOC (network operations center) in Nassau County.

http://www.lightower...nternet-access/

They started out as Exobit, got bought by Long Island Fiber, then Sidera, and finally Lightower.

I've sent them an E-mail, asking what they can offer and at what price points. Thanks.
Gary

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
If I'm not mistaken Dish offers broadband from cellular networks.
In my corner of Massapequa I can get anywhere from 25-40 Mbs on T-mobile 4G LTE, which comparable to "slow" broadband, but is light years ahead of satellite or DSL.
After a FIOS router upgrade I can get close 85Mbs on wifi and close to 100Mbs wired.

·
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I'm not mistaken Dish offers broadband from cellular networks.
In my corner of Massapequa I can get anywhere from 25-40 Mbs on T-mobile 4G LTE, which comparable to "slow" broadband, but is light years ahead of satellite or DSL.
After a FIOS router upgrade I can get close 85Mbs on wifi and close to 100Mbs wired.
Currently, we're getting 100Mbs, via wired FIOS. What we use it for is business E-mail, which includes uploading and downloading what are, sometimes, HUGE files, including pictures and videos. Consequently, we need the 100Mbs service.
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Gary, when you call ask specifically for the customer retention department.
Tell them you are considering switching to Cablevision unless they can make you a better offer.
As far as I know customer retention is the only department authorized to make you a better deal or authorized to give you the best deal at least.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Gary,

He's complaining about the price of FIOS ratcheting up, and you're suggesting a private fiber carrier. LOL
BTW, OpenAccess was in that list of buyouts and mergers too.

·
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gary, when you call ask specifically for the customer retention department.
Tell them you are considering switching to Cablevision unless they can make you a better offer.
As far as I know customer retention is the only department authorized to make you a better deal or authorized to give you the best deal at least.
Mike:
Good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
They were cheaper than Lightpath and FiOS for some of our customers. FiOS commercial pricing and residential pricing were on different levels as of three years ago.

He's complaining about the price of FIOS ratcheting up, and you're suggesting a private fiber carrier. LOL
BTW, OpenAccess was in that list of buyouts and mergers too.

·
6,483 Posts
Gary,

Chili:
John Thompson, their Sales Mgr, contacted me, then explained that they start at $1K, per month, for their Internet service. Nowhere near a money saver but thanks, for the suggestion.
Gary

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Get a friend to create an Optimum ID for you (each account is allowed five) and use that to log into Optimum WifI (which is all your neighbors' Optimum routers, courtesy of Cablevision) Normally I wouldn't suggest that on the basis of ethics, but it's the Dolans we're talking about here. And AFAIK there are no policy restrictions that say all ID's have to reside in the same household.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts