Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone install a well? I'm considering it for my lawn & swimming pool.

My house has low water pressure from the city water supply, and I'm tired of listening to the pressure pump when the lawn sprinkler comes on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was looking in to this some time ago for my off grid cabin.
Drilling a well is kinda expensive, especially if you just want to use it for irrigation

What you can do is drive a well your self. Get a kit and pound it down. Who doesn't love some manual labour!?!
There are also kits that use an air compressor to drive a drill bit. I'll post the link if I find it again.

What I did for my gardens is get a 200G tank off Craigslist for rain water and use it in my drip system.
Still thinking of a diy well though. But worried about permits.

EDIT: Just remembered that I have the DIY kit sites saved on my work puter. I'll post them tomorrow.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Had a well in Smithtown (whole house). Worse thing ever. You pay electric for the pump every time you water the lawn, etc. Not worth it.The water table on LI is very shallow and contaminated too. Paid 5 digits to hook up to town water. Doubled my house water pressure. Sprinklers now operate correctly, and for the house it's like night and day.

Across the river in Nissequouge many of the large estates had their wells shutdown due to dry cleaning chemicals in the water table. Like 50 homes a decade ago. It was an EPA superfund site.

I had suffolk well drillers IIRC service it, and even they said to switch to town water when you can LOL. I'll pm you their info if i can dig out the file.

Was considering just keeping the well for irrigation as you mention but as I said it wasn't worth the electricity and the pressure was too low to properly run the sprinklers. Plus you'd probably need a conditioner and filter otherwise the sediment would clog regular sprinkler systems. It was a big problem when we had the well (and we had a pressure tank, and a large water conditioner that charged with salt and a filter) It was a lot of maintenance for low returns. I still have a large epoxy coated steel pressure tank laying around in great condition.

Upstate I have a deep well through rock into a spring, and that's awesome but apples and oranges.

And btw, OP, if you're doing this cause you're tired of hearing the water flowing, well, a well also makes noise with the pump flow and the install will cost quite a bit, and it will always be more money in electric than paying the water co. And generally even with a large bladder pressure tank and a decent pump your water pressure will be half of town water about 40-45 psi (if you have a 1" main coming in from the street).

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
The range I belong to has well water.....Nothing like sticking your head under the stream of cold crisp water after a hot and sweaty day of shootin.....One time there was tape across the sink with the sign....Do not use decontamination in progress.......as I checked into it, I was informed the well is contaminated with fecal chloroform bacteria........Forger the well Bro....JMHO

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,977 Posts
Had a well in Smithtown (whole house). Worse thing ever. You pay electric for the pump every time you water the lawn, etc. Not worth it.The water table on LI is very shallow and contaminated too. Paid 5 digits to hook up to town water. Doubled my house water pressure. Sprinklers now operate correctly, and for the house it's like night and day.

Across the river in Nissequouge many of the large estates had their wells shutdown due to dry cleaning chemicals in the water table. Like 50 homes a decade ago. It was an EPA superfund site.

I had suffolk well drillers IIRC service it, and even they said to switch to town water when you can LOL. I'll pm you their info if i can dig out the file.

Was considering just keeping the well for irrigation as you mention but as I said it wasn't worth the electricity and the pressure was too low to properly run the sprinklers. Plus you'd probably need a conditioner and filter otherwise the sediment would clog regular sprinkler systems. It was a big problem when we had the well (and we had a pressure tank, and a large water conditioner that charged with salt and a filter) It was a lot of maintenance for low returns. I still have a large epoxy coated steel pressure tank laying around in great condition.

Upstate I have a deep well through rock into a spring, and that's awesome but apples and oranges.

And btw, OP, if you're doing this cause you're tired of hearing the water flowing, well, a well also makes noise with the pump flow and the install will cost quite a bit, and it will always be more money in electric than paying the water co. And generally even with a large bladder pressure tank and a decent pump your water pressure will be half of town water about 40-45 psi (if you have a 1" main coming in from the street).
All of this

·
Registered
251 Posts
We almost bought a house that was on well water. A few years later I ran into the person who did actually buy the house. The story convinced me never to be on well water. One day she goes to turn on the tap and no water. Freaking out she calls the SCWA (suffolk water). The road is a private road and the house was at the end. The cost to run from the road to the house exceeded something stupid like 100K but don't worry they have a payment plan in 1/3 installments. They call up a well company and it's something outrageous like 1K per foot to drill the well deeper. They ended up getting lucky and only had to go down some 20 feet or so. Just keep in mind that well water is not tested and that is up to you. Lord only knows what kind of stuff is in that well. At least when they poison our town water we'll be too zonked out to realize what's going on.

·
Banned
2,781 Posts
I have a well here in NH..... Not many choices. We have high sulfur in the h2o.... Smells, but otherwise no issues. Of course, I could drink out of the stream out back.

Biggest issue is the condensate from the pipes... Water out of the well from 225ft down is about 48 degrees.... Cold god damn water :)

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Did you try calling SCWA to complain? A lot of people in Centerport had the same problem and they put in new mains in the area. Ask your neighbors if they have the same problem, the squeaky wheel etc,etc.
Yeah. Also OP what's the main coming into your house from the street 1" or less? Generally town water has great water pressure (I get 90 psi and even may have needed a reducer). I'd address the pressure issue with the town and seek options there, much cheaper than watering through a well, and both will make "noise".

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm 600' from the street main, up hill. I get 30 PSI from town water. I have a pressure pump, and the cycling on/off is ridiculous.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
I'm 600' from the street main, up hill. I get 30 PSI from town water. I have a pressure pump, and the cycling on/off is ridiculous.
What run do you have? Shouldn't effect the pressure. I'm 300' uphill from the street main and they ran 2" pvc to a 1" metal main going in. Anything smaller could lower the pressure. I now get steady 90 psi from town. My installer (who was the contracted town plumber who installed the street main years back as well) said the distance wouldn't effect pressure at all. With the well I got 40 psi (after the pressure tank).

Could be a local municipality issue with the infrastructure (though I would be shocked any town water would come in that low) or the hookup to the house (small diameter pipe, other issues). Does your whole immediate area have town water problems?

·
Registered
12,340 Posts

I have a well at my house upstate, no town water available. The Town of Huntington has much cheaper water compared to my home in Wantagh.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
I have a well at my house upstate, no town water available. The Town of Huntington has much cheaper water compared to my home in Wantagh.
Yep, so do I as mentioned in the post. Most areas upstate have to have wells and propane. But it's a huge difference. Upstate we drilled deep through bedrock and actually tapped a spring. So the house is on fresh spring water coming from down deep and enclosed in rock. Plus only a few people in a mile area so little ground contamination (not like 100s of people dumping miracle grow and pesticides on their lawns).

On LI the water table is shallow and sandy, with tons more people contaminating it and more sediment that needs filtered. LI is one of the worst places to get a well, and town water is readily available. Many LI wells on the N. Shore were shut down by the EPA from chemical contamination. With town water rates being cheaper than the electrical costs to power a pump it also makes financial sense to covert on LI if you can (not to mention equipment and maintenance costs on filters, water softeners etc.).

(and I'm chiming in because at one point both my houses -upstate and Long Island were on wells, so I researched a lot about the subject and had to wait two years and a decent cost to convert my LI home to town water, while having great well water upstate).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.