Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
At Freeport R&R, IDPA style match on Sunday, 8/9/15, start time 0800. Setup for this match 8/8/15, expect to start shooting by 1400. That means if you come down and help setup, you can shoot the match that day.

If you plan on shooting, email Mike H. and let him know what division you plan on shooting, so he can get a head start setting up the tablets. If you are not on his email list, just show up early enough, and he will add you to his email list for future match notifications.

$10 entry fee. Expect 4 stages, 72 rounds max. Two boxes will be sufficient to cover you if a reshoot may be needed. No stage descriptions available.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Two boxes should work OK for most competitors, since IDPA stages max out at 18 "required" rounds. However, unless the stage invokes "limited Vickers" where you are not allowed any extra rounds, if you notice a miss or a low scoring hit on a target, you are allowed extra shots; if there is any steel - those pesky things can be really uncooperative if you hit them low, or if they "duck" and somehow the round misses. ;-) While everyone I've met at Freeport will lend you ammo if you run out (I've been offered ammo when I had feeding problems, too - really nice folks), I recommend having that extra box of ammo in your shooting bag. I'm signing up for Saturday; hope to see lots of you there.

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
One more bump.

The IDPA style matches tend to be a bit more beginner friendly, due to lower round count, and only needing three mags. If you are thinking about competition shooting, come on down and give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Edward_Blake

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
I've never done this before (IDPA). I'm a total greenhorn. I've just become a member with a friend. We're coming tomorrow to participate. (Blade 21) I hear talk about a lot of rules. Ugh!
Being safe is the only rule you need to be aware of in the beginning... Make all your shots deliberate... make all your shots accounted for on paper... listen to your RO...

be safe and have fun... the rest will come with time and experience

BTW, after having knee surgery Monday I felt good enough to give it a go today... I was very impressed at how fast I'm able to be back on the range... Have fun tomorrow guys

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
I've never done this before (IDPA). I'm a total greenhorn. I've just become a member with a friend. We're coming tomorrow to participate. (Blade 21) I hear talk about a lot of rules. Ugh!
I shot the match today and brought a friend for his first match. He enjoyed it and did pretty well. Just take your time and don't worry about going fast or getting good hits. Concentrate on safety and enjoying yourself. Don't drop the gun and don't point it at anyone and you'll be fine. The ROs will help you through everything.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts