Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Master Baiter
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone, after last storm i used the remaining grains of my ice melt.
I have since not been able to get any at all.
Any one know who/where one can find any?

Having my driveway as a bus stop I try to keep it ice free.

Any help is appreciated.

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Albertson hardware got in a couple of pallets yesterday.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but we are out as well.

I'm trying to get more in here this week (supplier just got some in stock, I ordered a skid this AM) but we'll see if I get it. I ordered a skid last week and it was a no show. This time all they had was calcium (ie, not the cheap stuff) but I still ordered it.

All the big guys (mason yards who supply full trailers to hospitals, towns, etc) are out. Right now their suppliers are charging them about 3x the normal rate for salt. Also pretty much all orders of loose salt are going straight to municipalities. My customers with snow clearing contracts are in deep trouble.

It's a tough product...either skids of it sit here for years, or it flies out the door in a bad winter. Ohh well.

-Vick

·
Master Baiter
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do you live? I have, you're more than welcome to a couple bags.
That is very awesome of you! I live out east unfortunately. With my schedule I couldn't possibly make it to your neck of the woods in time before the storm.
I really appreciate the offer. Again...that is very awesome!! I don't care what Pate says about you!

·
Master Baiter
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you burn wood? I've used ashes on my sidewalk with great success.
I do...have a huge fireplace full of ash. I have never heard of or thought of using ash. I think my wife would have a (#^$( storm with the mess it might make no?

Reactions: The Architect

·
Master Baiter
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
try automotive windshield or RV drain antifreeze washer fluid if you really need something, works good
Interesting Idea. I thought about trying the windshield stuff but didn't think it would last.
Could also blow torch but would refreeze pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I do...have a huge fireplace full of ash. I have never heard of or thought of using ash. I think my wife would have a (#^$( storm with the mess it might make no?
Ash does help for traction, doesn't help melt ice. Also don't spread it anywhere on your house entrance. It makes a huge mess

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Interesting Idea. I thought about trying the windshield stuff but didn't think it would last.
Could also blow torch but would refreeze pretty fast.
This.

Also what happens if you take a blow torch to a big pile of snow, the snow will melt and then refreeze as you're torching....that ice then just reflects all the heat back at you.

Good luck.

In my youth when I had large areas of ice to clear from the driveway i'd hit it with a sledge hammer to make a bunch of cracks, then ice scraper and shovel up. I also seem to remember Rone yelling at me for doing that, so I forget if it was a good idea or not. Seemed to work pretty well though, and our concrete driveway wasn't destroyed from it. Don't know how asphalt would have handled it.

·
Lousy Shot
16,248 Posts
If you're desperate, try some pet stores. They sell stuff that's safe for pets, kids and lawns. It's a little expensive but, because it is, they usually have it in stock. It works better than ordinary rock salt or calcium chloride.

I don't use it that much but it's all I keep around. I'm usually pretty vigilant at clearing the walks so I just use that and/or sand.

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
There were people fighting over it at Setauket ACE hardware this morning. Also, suppliers that my club uses are getting $20/bag verses $8/bag the last pallet we bought. Just buy kitty litter or straight sand if it is just for your home.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts