Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend's and I would like to convert half of our computer store into a gun store.  What do we need to know to do this?  Do we need pistol licenses to sell pistols, or can we just not take our own merchandise home? Do we have to be a certain distance from specific places (ie: schools, bars, churches) or does it not matter?  Our store already has a very nice surveillance system (we sell, and install those too).  Thanks for all the help.

·
Banned
469 Posts
It could be a long process. You can find more information by calling up Brookhaven town and asking what you would need.

To sell pistols requires more paper work and I believe you need a safe to lock up the pistols at night. I don't think it matters where you are located in relation to a church or something. The shop in smithtown is right around the corner from a church. You may get public opposition if near a school, but if the area is zoned correctly, then you should be good.

You can get your feet wet by applying for a FFL and do transfers for the time being.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.  We are within .25 of a mile from a school, but it is a business strip of road, and the school can't see our building from their grounds, nor can we see them.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
You need patience.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marz9 said:
I was curious myself about this process. Please keep us posted on your progress and what you come across in your research.

Will do. It's all up to the store owner if he wants to continue pursuing this though. I just do contract work right now.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
One of the hardest parts for most people is getting the FFL, but you are very lucky to have a building with a current business operating out of it aforehand. Normally a new gunshop entrepenuer would have to lease or own thier gunshop location for 6 months since you need a permanent street adress for the FFL application.

I know telling you this doesn't really help, but I hope it encourages you to know that you are already over one of the worst obstacles simply by having your computer store. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Mad Russian said:
Here's a name for your store: "Bytes and Bullets" :X
HA, I like that, it sings ;D

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bulk ammo is a good idea.  Unfortunately my business partner is going through some personal problems at this time, and he can't focus on a new venture just yet.  I'll let you all know if we make any progress.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Closed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.