Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Powderfinger
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Range Rover is a 'fortress' on wheels

Land Rover has unveiled an armoured 4x4 that can take on all terrains - as well as TNTs and grenades

VIEW THE VIDEO AT EMAIL LINK .... REAL COOL

http://www.telegraph...

Powerful people with enemies can rest easy after Land Rover unveiled its first luxury armoured vehicle - capable of withstanding grenades and gunfire.

The £360,000 Range Rover Sentinel is being billed as a "mobile fortress" which still delivers the comfort and capability of the standard 4x4.

[sup]
This Range Rover will be a tough nut to crack as it is built to take on serious damage (Land Rover)[/sup]

Engineers at the firm's Special Vehicle Operations team developed a six-piece armoured cell, made of super-high-strength steel to protect passengers.

The standard glass has been replaced with multi-laminated bulletproof windows.

[sup]
The Sentinel's windshield will be able to take on fire from high velocity fire arms (Land Rover)[/sup]
It has been designed to withstand penetration by 7.62mm high velocity, armour piercing incendiary bullets, 15kg TNT blasts and DM51 grenade explosions from both beneath the floor and above the roof.
And even if the wheels are shot at, the Sentinel can be driven with deflated tyres.
The jaw-dropping off-roader, based on the Autobiography spec Range Rover, is the most expensive model ever made by Land Rover.

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
My LR had a problem with the drains for the sunroof it would store a couple of gallons of water in the header just waiting for a short stop. LR told me I wasn't maintaining the drains and billed me $750 the first time and over $3000 the second time when the water wiped out the 4WD computer. It was a pig on the sand that did one thing great, dig itself down to the floorboards because of the crazy 4WD active control.

If you want a truck that will live at the dealer and depreciate like a rock because of repair costs LR is just for you.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I bought a RR sport for my wife years ago. Never went off-road, never beat on.

Went through 3 sets of tires and 4 sets of brakes in the 3 year lease.
Rear end went 28 degrees out of alignment and chewed up a brand new set of rear tires. Dealer said she must have hit something. Meanwhile they market the thing as the "best" off road vehicle you can own. It's not the "best" but cost of ownership is the highest.

·
Listen up,I don't dial 911.
3,586 Posts
I had a wonderful Discovery in 1999 A true off roader. Just casually driving thru a quarry upstate little did I know they put both o2 sensors under the exhaust pipes. SO if bottomed out a bit you broke off both o2 sensors at $220 each. Then the bloody sod had full time 4wd ????? but had open differentials at both ends. So even when you locked the center diff. you only had one wheel on each end driving. Which is good because the fuel gauge might have gone down even faster with a better system. But yet they have a diesel model that gets 32 mpg. not here though.

·
Banned
6,368 Posts
I have never heard a good review of a LR. I never would even think about even looking at them. I live on LI. My wife's AWD Acura and my Silverado will do just fine.

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts
Why do you think the Brits don't make televisions?
You've obviously dealt with a British vehicle with electrics by Joseph Lucas (Otherwise known as 'The Prince of Darkness'.)

The man who holds the patent on the short circuit.
Inventor of intermittent wipers and self-dimming headlights.
Creator of the 3-position headlight switch: Dim, Flicker, & Off.

For you fans of Lucas jokes, here's a few more: LINK

And for you TRUE Lucas aficionados, some replacement smoke for when the original smoke gets out of the wires:

Fluid Liquid Drinkware Drink Condiment

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
On vacation my wife and I did an "off road" trip....it was a group thing and the tourists were the drivers?!?! Clearly I took over.

They company had diesel land rover defenders...I think the long base. It was a manual (which disqualified most other people as drivers anyway.)

Off road....the thing was a beast! Took the thing up something so steep that it was first gear all the way. Bottomed the back end out a few times, no problem!!

On the highway doing 45 mph?? Scariest thing I've ever driven.

That one seemed pretty fricking simple....three pedals, seats like a tractor, gritty diesel engine, some lights. That's it.

Any of the ones I've seen here on the roads? Eeesh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.