Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i was out with jlk265 and our families out at Smith Point enjoying the day and we see some white smoke coming from a few hundred yards down the beach. I grab my fire extinguisher from my jeep, and we take off in his.. So we get down there and flames are coming out from underneath the hood of a Jeep Liberty. We jump out with our extinguishers but we barely made a dent in the blaze. A few seconds later the fire was coming back from under the hood and that was it for us.. Long story short.. this Liberty (which we later learned the owner had only made a single payment on) burned out for 30 minutes before the fire dept. showed up.

So what did I learn today..

1. Don't ignore the lights on your dash. Okay.. I already knew this but it's worth repeating.
2. Don't overwork your transmission. Okay again.. I already knew this but it's worth repeating.
3. That $15 fire extinguisher that I bought because it was easy to fit under the seat IS NOT gonna cut it.. especially if the fire has a few minute head start on you.

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
supposedly, other people on the beach had smelled this vehicle driving past but the driver kept on going...

So.. what is the most effective extinguisher I can get?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i saw a car on fire about 2 weeks ago flying down the southern state down by farmingdale flames coming out the bottom and smoke everywhere, unrelated

·
Sharp Shooter!
356 Posts
Quote of the day from Pete "they were all running away, we were running in!!". Granted, with our Walmart fire extinguishers that lasted all of 4 seconds, after which..... Well, we ran away. Which was good since the tires started exploding.

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
peteinsuffolk said:
supposedly, other people on the beach had smelled this vehicle driving past but the driver kept on going...

Depends on type of fire and extinguisher storage availability

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jlk265 said:
Quote of the day from Pete "they were all running away, we were running in!!".
hold on.. full disclosure here.. that was a sarcastic comment from a guy who may or may not have had a beer in his hand.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
peteinsuffolk said:

IMO Halon. I'm not a professional fire fighter though, just a guy who had a halon stystem in his race car. But try getting THAT refilled- they have to use recycled military halon. So, you have to weigh whether saving the guy's brand new Jeep Liberty with your halon fire extinguisher is really worth it. And dry chem or foam might work better outdoors in the wind, because halon might blow away.

On my boat and in my shop I keep several Dry chem, IIRC they are 10ABC's.

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Captain Will said:
IMO Halon. I'm not a professional fire fighter though, just a guy who had a halon stystem in his race car. But try getting THAT refilled- they have to use recycled military halon. So, you have to weigh whether saving the guy's brand new Jeep Liberty with your halon fire extinguisher is really worth it. And dry chem or foam might work better outdoors in the wind, because halon might blow away.

On my boat and in my shop I keep several Dry chem, IIRC they are 10ABC's.
Halon is great in an installed system, but Will's concerns are valid. Out on th beach etc. Dry Chem 10 ABC is the min. Used 3 of them a while ago to put out my neighbors tool truck, battery cables grounded to top of fuel tank and set it on fire

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
In the race cars we use Halon. Some guys use the "refillable" soap and water ones. My pull cord system is Halon, and I have a small ABC bottle bolted to the floor in the passenger side.

I hate to say it though....if you don't get it quick, it's going to burn.

-Vick

·
Sharp Shooter!
356 Posts
so here is a question for some of the more knowledgable "car guys"- how do you know if your transmission is running hot? Smell? Will the oil heat gauge redline as well? How necessary is a transmission cooler?

What could cause a transmission to get so hot it bursts into flames? Too much torque? A leak?

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Captain Will said:
So, you have to weigh whether saving the guy's brand new Jeep Liberty with your halon fire extinguisher is really worth it.
So true.. I'm always down to help a stranger out, but if someone can't take the time to learn how to operate their vehicle within it's limits AND carry the necessary safety gear.. I'm a little less inclined to spend the $100. The forty bucks we threw at the fire didn't help the owner of the liberty out, but it definitely was an eye opener for us when it comes to having the right extinguisher.

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bridge said:
Kessel Towing got their while the thing was still warm to haul it away :)

Ps: and people wanna know why I always install tranny coolers in my 4 x 4's ::)
What kind of truck did they use to get that out there? I guess a flat bed can handle it?

·
Sharp Shooter!
356 Posts
this from wranglerforum.com:
(the poster is Fire Cop)

The only good extinguisher IMO is one of these: Kidde 466403 2.5Gal W/Wall Hanger Bracket A Class Water Extinguisher (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=water+fire+extinguisher&rlz=1I7DKUS&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17970109060051828546&sa=X&ei=yhuMT7_xHpCE8QSsrYjACQ&ved=0CIABEPMCMAA#)
Put a couple healty squirts of dawn dish soap in it and you have a very effective tool. It might have not made a difference depending on how far along the fire was but it will last a good minute before going empty. Plus they are endlessly refillable so after the initial cost it cost you nothing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.