Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I say I had a good run for the last 40 plus years taken some super nice bucks but at 65 years old the bones seem not to like sitting in the woods
Joint pain is not fun otherwise the first week of bow this year opening morning missed a doe at 30 yards (went under the belly line )
Tuesday afternoon ground hunting missed a doe at 24 yards(went over the back) and Wednesday shot a nice buck I seen the arrow went threw the body but I think it landed in no mans land just over the lung area and a little low of the spine.I search for 4 hours coming up empty ,I think the buck made it no sign of heavy bleeding no leaves kick up on the trail so it was a chalk up.
I gave it my best to search for it I may run into him during the rifle season

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I say I had a good run for the last 40 plus years taken some super nice bucks but at 65 years old the bones seem not to like sitting in the woods
Joint pain is not fun otherwise the first week of bow this year opening morning missed a doe at 30 yards (went under the belly line )
Tuesday afternoon ground hunting missed a doe at 24 yards(went over the back) and Wednesday shot a nice buck I seen the arrow went threw the body but I think it landed in no mans land just over the lung area and a little low of the spine.I search for 4 hours coming up empty ,I think the buck made it no sign of heavy bleeding no leaves kick up on the trail so it was a chalk up.
I gave it my best to search for it I may run into him during the rifle season

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
I know all too well about joint pain, and now am intimately aware of joints I never knew existed. But, maybe, just maybe there might be some relief for you yet.

Have you tried to loosen the tension on the bow? Maybe a lighter bow may be enough to buy you a few more years in a sport you seem to enjoy.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
I know all too well about joint pain, and now am intimately aware of joints I never knew existed. But, maybe, just maybe there might be some relief for you yet.

Have you tried to loosen the tension on the bow? Maybe a lighter bow may be enough to buy you a few more years in a sport you seem to enjoy.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Don't quit!  Get a crossbow! ....errr...forget what I said...more deer for the rest of us! ;)

·
22,005 Posts
Don't quit!  Get a crossbow! ....errr...forget what I said...more deer for the rest of us! ;)

·
22,005 Posts
I've met Lonewolf a couple of times. He don't look so bad for decrepit old feller! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I agree with the Russian, just switch to a crossbow (preferably one with an integral crank :) ). I know a lot of guys that have done that.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I agree with the Russian, just switch to a crossbow (preferably one with an integral crank :) ). I know a lot of guys that have done that.

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
Captain Will said:
It is the responsible thing to stop or change tactics rather than wounding animals, I respect that.
Amen! but I'm not so sure you're needing to quit - at least you're finding deer!!! I've only gotten out twice this year, and saw ZERO :( Lower the poundage! (I've seen lots of articles saying that the poundage obsession is pointless) practice a bit more maybe - I find that getting out 3-4x a week and shooting 4 arrows is better than a marathon 60 shot session. (quality is better than quantity)

Or, you take one of us young punks out, who can still shoot, but doesn't yet know how to find the damn things! (Hint - ME!)

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
Captain Will said:
It is the responsible thing to stop or change tactics rather than wounding animals, I respect that.
Amen! but I'm not so sure you're needing to quit - at least you're finding deer!!! I've only gotten out twice this year, and saw ZERO :( Lower the poundage! (I've seen lots of articles saying that the poundage obsession is pointless) practice a bit more maybe - I find that getting out 3-4x a week and shooting 4 arrows is better than a marathon 60 shot session. (quality is better than quantity)

Or, you take one of us young punks out, who can still shoot, but doesn't yet know how to find the damn things! (Hint - ME!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts