Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help....generator - interlock - 120 volt generator......
I just had a solar array installed (I own it, not leasing it). As part of the job, an interlock was added to my main panel. The interlock connects to a L14-30 male connector on the outside of the house.
The installing electrician just informed me that my generator needs to have a 240 volt outlet - otherwise only one side of my main panel will be powered.
My generator doesn't have a 240 volt outlet. It has two 120 volt outlets.
Do generators use different phases on these 2 outlets?
Is it possible to combine these 120 volt outlets somehow?

·
Registered
756 Posts
One of they features when shopping for a portable house generator was the ability to energize using a 240 outlet. There are many models that have this feature so shop around. Maybe you can sell your present generator to offset the cost. Honda makes two versions of the i2000, one with a 240 outlet and one without with a $200 cost differential. I'm not saying that generator is the way to go for you but in my opinion if you are using a transfer switch there is no way of getting around having the proper output from your generator. The good news is there are lots of models to choose from.

Generac makes a good product with these attributes.

Reactions: Claat

·
Premium Member
89 Posts

NorthStar Diesel Generator - 6500 Surge Watts, 6120 Rated Watts, Electric Start, EPA Tier 4 Compliant when you can not get gas diesel is easy to find if not you can use home heating oil best investment i made keep the battery on a float charge and it is ready to go at a moments notice well worth the investment

·
Not a participant of the LIF circle jerk.
663 Posts
Single phase generator sure won't have 2 phases
You can use it, you will NOT fry a transformer, or a neutral. No way, no how. But obviously you're not running a dryer, or electric cook top with 120volts. But it will do no harm.
You have no clue... Energizing both (opposite) legs of a SINGLE PHASE residential service using a backup generator can indeed overload the neutral (of a MWBC) .

·
Fed up with FUDDS
2,862 Posts
You have no clue... Energizing both (opposite) legs of a SINGLE PHASE residential service using a backup generator can indeed overload the neutral (of a MWBC) .
Exactly...any 3-wire 110 volt circuits in the house rely on each circuit being on a different pole / leg of your 220 volt service...running them on the same pole would run the risk of overloading the common neutral.
Back-feeding a 110 volt generator in to your panel is a bad idea regardless. Your best / safest option with that generator is to run extension cords to the individual loads...
otherwise, as stated in previous posts, invest in a new gen.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NorthStar Diesel Generator - 6500 Surge Watts, 6120 Rated Watts, Electric Start, EPA Tier 4 Compliant when you can not get gas diesel is easy to find if not you can use home heating oil best investment i made keep the battery on a float charge and it is ready to go at a moments notice well worth the investment
Way to expensive...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have pretty much the same one. It served and still serves us well. 11 days running after Sandy.
After I ordered it, a friend of mine mentioned I should have spent more on an electric start model in case my wife has to do it.

How hard is this one to start?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts