Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
A bent op rod is probably the hardest thing to detect and to fix. They all look bent because they all are bent. The question is, is it properly bent?

It takes an expert who knows. As stated previously, take it to Orion 7.

This guy talks about the bends in the op rod at about the 8:30 mark:

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
actually, I've called there at least three times to set something up, and each time I did, the interaction was such that I didn't really want to proceed. He's obviously popular around here, but I'd rather spend it elsewhere.
thanks
It's not that "he's popular here". Orion 7 is a nationally recognized expert in Garands, with years of experience and reputation, just so happens to be on Long Island, a reasonable drive for anyone with a Garand issue. If that's not good enough I don't know what to tell you. Not privy to your conversation but in dealing with most smiths and gunshops phone conversations are usually not an indicator of their work. A lot of busy shops have given me the run-around or short answer treatment, but once I met in person had great experiences. Just something to consider.

You're going to be hard pressed to find anyone with the expertise of O7 for garands anywhere in the tri-state area, maybe even the Northeast US. But if your conversations went that badly trust your instinct I guess...

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
If you don't want to use orion then you will have to send it out.

Look into cmp for services.

If it's your oprod you can send it to Columbus machine works.

Try the tilt test first. If your op rod doesn't smoothly move back and forth when you take the op rod spring out when you tilt the rifle that could be a sign.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Only other option would be to poke around the national match style shooters, and see if there are any of the old time armorers around.

hate to say it, not many guys remember how to tune man rifles. all the military service rifle teams have been on the AR platform for over a decade now. Army went first.....Marines changed over kicking and screaming a year or so later.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
so uhh, there is nobody else you can recommend?
There is no other reason to recommend anyone else they are that good they only do Garand's. Is there e reason you looking for another name.
All I can say is a good friend of mine bought a very nice CMP Garand it work fine no real issues he stopped their to buy some stuff and they r took a look at the gun for him they saw a couple of thing and asked it he like it to be tuned up the price was relatively cheap and fast service it now runs 10x better smoother and tiger feels cleaner.

So they are the guys to take a Garand to.

Reactions: li02liberty

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
I've only dealt with Antony, both at the shop and at the Hauppauge gun show. I found him to be a pleasure to deal with but I can see where he can come across abrupt or make a bad first impression with some people. One time I drove to the shop when they were supposed to be open (on a Saturday) and they never opened that day. I ran a few errands, came back and they still weren't open.

Give them another chance.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.