Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
Lol you guys make up some good stories i cant comment but no one has said right reason.  But you will see scpd and  less sheriff in year or so.

In other counties, the County Police and Sheriff's department are terms that describe the same thing. i.e. Niagara County Sheriff's Department.  The officers are all deputies. I always wondered about the apparent redundancy down here.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
GADZOOKS !!!   honest to God Steve all I did was ask a question.

Ghost Hunter said:
I have a Laser Interceptor (Diffuser) installed in my car
so I never have the pleasure of meeting any of the hwy
patrol guys. The County(s) won't be making any money
on me. :)

Peace,
GH-07
Hate to tell you but they dont need a radar/laser to tell if you are speeding... Sounds like you have just been lucky.

ligun said:
But this means that SCPD can have less new hires and the Sheriff has justification for more officers.

I was into radio scanners a few years back. I actually heard a conversation in which SCPD refused assistance to the Sheriff's officers on LIE in a high speed chase. SCPD took over only after the person being chased took an exit.
Now dont be silly. LEO's always help each other. If you knew the pursuit rules you would know that SCPD doesnt assist other agencies pursuits, except if they are unable to do so alone. If the SCSO cant get it done, they please pass the torch.

As for tickets, well even if more money goes to the county when written by SCSO ( which I doubt ) b/c they both goto the sane court ( TVB ) then it disdnt make any more money b/c they wrote 67$ less tix's the 1st year as per Newsday. Forget aboiut quality, which we know is lower. Heck people getting Field Appearance tickets for suspended plates which is not dont in Police Work.

Next the Skeevy LEvy was offered by the State a new court to handle all tickets written by SCPD Hwy to keep them there, he said no. Why?
Well he would have recapped most if not all of the 12million he said he'd save. Why you ask ruin moral and cause a fight between two professional seperate LEO's with TOTALLY different jobs. Because he HATED SCPD> That simple.

killian said:
Hate to tell you but they dont need a radar/laser to tell if you are speeding... Sounds like you have just been lucky.
Ha, I wish I had the luck. I'm a cop magnet. I'm at a light
beside an office, he pulls me over. I'm pacing along with
100 other cars in traffic, he pulls me over. I park my car at
a lot, he walks up to me. In fact, I pulled up to my mailbox
to get my mail the other morning, a cop pulls up on side
of me asking, "What are you doing here?".

I tell him, "Uh... I live here and just picking up my mail."

He looks at my house for a second and says, "You live there?"

I reply, "Yes" Then there's a pause. To avoid any further
doubt, I tell him, "Would you like to see my license?"

That's when he waves me off and drives away. SMH.

I'm starting to think my mother was right when she says why
do I look so mean. I think it's just the angle my bushy
eyebrows are in. ;D

I've been pulled several times, just to be asked,
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
"Do you know how fast you were going?"
"Are you in a hurry? Something you need to get to?"

Basically an attempt to get me to incriminate myself. Of
course I politely respond, "No, why do you?"

They look inside my vehicle I guess to see if I had a
radar/laser detector in which I don't have and is useless.

One officer told me that I was speeding. Again, I
politely responded, "I was? What did you clock me at?"
He then dismissed it by telling me to slow down.

And for the record... I don't drive recklessly or speed
past other motorists like some lunatic. I will however
drive WITH traffic on the left lane in which normally
moves at 75mph out here in Suffolk BUT which is also
enough to get pulled over for speeding. :-/

And, if they don't need a laser on the LIE in Suffolk/
Nassau, what do they use? One Mississippi, Two
Mississippi... ?

koolkat said:
thought I saw you on 495 the other day ;D
You mean the day I had big muzzle brakes sticking
out of the back of my trunk? ;D

Peace,
GH-07

Ghost Hunter said:
Ha, I wish I had the luck. I'm a cop magnet. I'm at a light
beside an office, he pulls me over. I'm pacing along with
100 other cars in traffic, he pulls me over. I park my car at
a lot, he walks up to me. In fact, I pulled up to my mailbox
to get my mail the other morning, a cop pulls up on side
of me asking, "What are you doing here?".

I tell him, "Uh... I live here and just picking up my mail."

He looks at my house for a second and says, "You live there?"

I reply, "Yes" Then there's a pause. To avoid any further
doubt, I tell him, "Would you like to see my license?"

That's when he waves me off and drives away. SMH.

I'm starting to think my mother was right when she says why
do I look so mean. I think it's just the angle my bushy
eyebrows are in. ;D

I've been pulled several times, just to be asked,
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
"Do you know how fast you were going?"
"Are you in a hurry? Something you need to get to?"

Basically an attempt to get me to incriminate myself. Of
course I politely respond, "No, why do you?"

They look inside my vehicle I guess to see if I had a
radar/laser detector in which I don't have and is useless.

One officer told me that I was speeding. Again, I
politely responded, "I was? What did you clock me at?"
He then dismissed it by telling me to slow down.

And for the record... I don't drive recklessly or speed
past other motorists like some lunatic. I will however
drive WITH traffic on the left lane in which normally
moves at 75mph out here in Suffolk BUT which is also
enough to get pulled over for speeding. :-/

And, if they don't need a laser on the LIE in Suffolk/
Nassau, what do they use? One Mississippi, Two
Mississippi... ?

You mean the day I had big muzzle brakes sticking
out of the back of my trunk? ;D

Peace,
GH-07
They are trained to judge speed by observation.

FULL METAL JACKET said:
Can't write tickets based on assumptions...
In court they wouldn't say it was based on assumptions. They say it was based on their training, and it works. And really? I can totally spot someone who is speeding and I'm not even trained. They give a bunch of leeway with those tickets too. They won't pull someone over for doing 60 in a 55 based on training. It's safe to say if someone gets written based on that training only, they were probably being a peckerhead, and the judge knows it.

FULL METAL JACKET said:
Can't write tickets based on assumptions...
You my friend are wrong. Tickets are written every day on Independent speed estimation. PO's in Suffolk County are trained and certified in Independent speed estimation with a degree of accuracy +/- 3 MPH. Don't believe me? Come out to my PCT and I'll show you.

Alot of misinformation on this one. Its simple. County Executive Levy never had a good relationship with the SCPD. Way back to when he was in the  county Legislature. When he became Exec, he played smoke and mirrors to pull the SCPD off the highway and give it to the Sheriffs. The SCPD union did not support Levy when he ran for office. The only LEO union to support Levy was .............. you guessed it, the Sheriffs. And then after 48 years of patrolling the hwy, the SCPD were removed by Levy and replaced with the Sheriffs. Now that the new Exec was supported by the SCPD union, and not the Sheriffs,  guess whose getting back the hwy. SCPD, obviously.

Punisher1336 said:
Alot of misinformation on this one. Its simple. County Executive Levy never had a good relationship with the SCPD. Way back to when he was in the county Legislature. When he became Exec, he played smoke and mirrors to pull the SCPD off the highway and give it to the Sheriffs. The SCPD union did not support Levy when he ran for office. The only LEO union to support Levy was .............. you guessed it, the Sheriffs. And then after 48 years of patrolling the hwy, the SCPD were removed by Levy and replaced with the Sheriffs. Now that the new Exec was supported by the SCPD union, and not the Sheriffs, guess whose getting back the hwy. SCPD, obviously.
Thought thats what I said ;)

cMc214 said:
The rumor mill states that the Sheriffs highly supported Steve Levy and there union was able to successfully take the highways so that they may get the overtime. Like I said though.... it is just the rumor mill so take it for what it is worth.

dastorm said:
Lol you guys make up some good stories i cant comment but no one has said right reason. But you will see scpd and less sheriff in year or so.
It's makng my head hurt. And for the record. NCPD never offered to vacate the LIE in support of SCPD.

There's alot of comments and some are close to being accurate some are way off.  LIE and Sunrise are state roads. Way back in the 70's the State was going through rough financial times and worked a deal out with both counties. The State would patrol the parkways and the counties would patrol 495 and Sunrise. The money collected would be distributed to each according to their agreement  as well the state would compensate the Counties annually for certain costs in the police budgets.  Since the very first year of the agreement the State always paid a partial payment and that was always late in coming. The Counties had been trying to get the State to pay up for years to no avail.    It was Pat Halpin who first brought up fighting the late payments and It was Gaffney who first brought up pulling the highway patrol off the roads thus forcing the State to pay what they owed. ( Levy was a town supervisor at the time)  The County Attorneys advised against actually pulling the highway patrol off the roadways but the idea was now out there.   Now Levy becomes the County executive and and decides to make the change, what most dont know he has had personal problems with the SCPD and there was no love between the two. The SCPD union backed the other side and the Sheriffs union backed Levy.  This was a perfect excuse for Levy to smack the SCPD and reward the Sheriffs unions.  He used the excuse of salary cost savings to sell the move and after a perb hearing a judge rules that Levy does have the authority to make the change.  The cost savings does not materialize due to the contractual agreements in place. sheriffs are each assigned a personal car while scpd used a fleet that was shared. The Sheriffs then overstepped and created additional units those being a k-9 unit as well as a marine bureau. These added units totally blew up the cost savings excuse and only duplicated police services to the taxpayers. The training was not the same although you have been told it was. Yes both are trained to write summonses and work radar but no crime scene, criminal investigation, witness interviewing etc was done and many severe or fatal accident crime scenes were ruined at the hands of the sheriffs.  Now the new county exec Bellone comes into office with the support of the SCPD. The two have a good working relationship and part of a quick and cooperative contract negotiation the SCPD will be given back the Highway patrol functions on the LIE and Sunrise. The problems with the State still need to be fixed but Bellone has been working on that with Cuomo's office and might be nearing an agreement.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.