Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of late I've been doing more and more traveling out East and been noticing  the Sheriffs guys out handing out tickets The Mrs asked me about it I don't think the SCPD is short handed, so what's the deal with the Sheriffs deputies on 495 Not that I give a damn, the Wife and I are just curious
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
I think there was something to do with the state not handing out enough overtime money, so SCPD said they would not patrol the LIE.  Since then, the Sheriffs have been patrolling.  I guess it has been about 2 years now....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,551 Posts
as per the article on Wikipedia regarding Suffolk County:

"Since the disbandment of the Suffolk County Police Highway Patrol Unit in 2008, Suffolk County Deputy Sheriffs have assumed responsibility for patrolling and investigating all crimes committed on both the Long Island Expressway (State route 495) and Sunrise Highway (State Route 27)."

Dov
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,713 Posts
The reason it happened was because Sheriff's union is a lot stronger in Suffolk than Suffolk PD union. There was some turmoil and Sheriff guys got the contract for the LIE. There is more to the story. Sheriff guys had no training on proper stopping of motorists and ticket writing since they've never done it before. So they needed to be trained. Suffolk PD being pissed off to no end, refused to train them, so they had to go to Nassau to get trained. Welcome to NY.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know now that you mention it I haven't seen any SCPD on the LIE, but then whose looking for them? I know I saw Sheriffs guys handling an accident last week on the way home from Brightwaters
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,263 Posts
The rumor mill states that the Sheriffs highly supported Steve Levy and there union was able to successfully take the highways so that they may get the overtime.  Like I said though.... it is just the rumor mill so take it for what it is worth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Wow, you guys are way off. :) Here's how it went down:

When a Suffolk or Nassau cop writes a ticket on a state or Fed highway the bulk of the money goes to the State; it's like a 70%-30% split or something like that.
When a Suffolk Sheriff writes the ticket it's reversed; 70% goes to the county.

Armed with this info Back in '09-'10 or so Steve Levy tried to renegotiate the split with the Governor. After being "Ignored" Levy threatened to pull all Suffolk HWY cops from patrols on the LIE, SS PKWY, Sunrise HWY, etc as a way to punch the State in the gut. He used Labor Day if memory serves as a cut-off date and followed through with his threat.
Nassau did as well, to show support for Levy's actions.
This move made Suffolk and Nassau MILLIONS of dollars; now the bulk of the money was going to the counties-not the states.
The SCPD union flipped out about this (Obviously) and started a bit of a misinformation campaign against Steve Levy. How dare someone challenge the cops!
Much of the misinformation centered around public safety; like how at risk we would be if Sheriffs patrolled The LIE versus the HIGHLY TRAINED, ELITE SCPD. ::)
The Union was pissed because Levy was taking the first steps towards making the police union just a little less powerful and we all know how that turned out for him, right? (Don't take on the cops or bogus investigations may ruin your political career). ;)
Bottom line, Suffolk makes more money, Sheriffs graduate the same academy the SCPD does, both are trained to judge speed within 3mph and their judgement is admissable in court and a radar gun takes all of half a day to learn how to use.
This is why you see Sheriffs on the LIE and anyone who really believes speed limits are NOT sources of revenue are quite stupid. ;)
 
G

·
scottzilla said:
Wow, you guys are way off. :) Here's how it went down:

When a Suffolk or Nassau cop writes a ticket on a state or Fed highway the bulk of the money goes to the State; it's like a 70%-30% split or something like that.
When a Suffolk Sheriff writes the ticket it's reversed; 70% goes to the county.

Armed with this info Back in '09-'10 or so Steve Levy tried to renegotiate the split with the Governor. After being "Ignored" Levy threatened to pull all Suffolk HWY cops from patrols on the LIE, SS PKWY, Sunrise HWY, etc as a way to punch the State in the gut. He used Labor Day if memory serves as a cut-off date and followed through with his threat.
Nassau did as well, to show support for Levy's actions.
This move made Suffolk and Nassau MILLIONS of dollars; now the bulk of the money was going to the counties-not the states.
The SCPD union flipped out about this (Obviously) and started a bit of a misinformation campaign against Steve Levy. How dare someone challenge the cops!
Much of the misinformation centered around public safety; like how at risk we would be if Sheriffs patrolled The LIE versus the HIGHLY TRAINED, ELITE SCPD. ::)
The Union was pissed because Levy was taking the first steps towards making the police union just a little less powerful and we all know how that turned out for him, right? (Don't take on the cops or bogus investigations may ruin your political career). ;)
Bottom line, Suffolk makes more money, Sheriffs graduate the same academy the SCPD does, both are trained to judge speed within 3mph and their judgement is admissable in court and a radar gun takes all of half a day to learn how to use.
This is why you see Sheriffs on the LIE and anyone who really believes speed limits are NOT sources of revenue are quite stupid. ;)
+1

The SCPD union was in uproar because it meant less OT for the disbanded highway patrol and meant former HP officers now had to be assigned to a less cushy job (like they do anything anyway)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well then I will surmize if a State Bull stops you NYS gets every penny of that ticket
 

·
Tallest Midget
Joined
·
3,337 Posts
Suffolk county Sherrifs make a little less than the SCPD Levy started using tbe Sherrifs to lower the cost of traffic enforcement on the LIE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,403 Posts
The highways are patrolled on a contract basis. Sheriff or SCPD can bid on the contract and the state approves (as usual) the low bidder. From what I heard form a buddy of mine in the Sheriff dept, there have been some issues about not paying OT and not having the manpower to continue to patrol for the remainder of the current and the next contract. From my understanding, The Troopers are pushing to get it and run another class of new hires, and they have not replaced ANY of the retired troopers over the past 6 years. Troopers only run the parkways for the most part downstate and there seems to be a push for a larger presence of troopers here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so now I have a fairly good understanding of 495 and the Northern state Thanks Guys. One thing is sure with revenue a problem talking one of those guys out of giving me  a ticket would be  an exercise in futility. This would be especially true of the NYSPD
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,423 Posts
boke said:
Suffolk county Sherrifs make a little less than the SCPD Levy started using tbe Sherrifs to lower the cost of traffic enforcement on the LIE
It didn't lower any county costs. they didn't remove any jobs, they just reassigned the HP officers. Any overtime they were making is definitely not as much as a sheriffs salary + benefits. Like was said before, this was all about income from the tickets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,307 Posts
gunsngolf said:
It didn't lower any county costs. they didn't remove any jobs, they just reassigned the HP officers. Any overtime they were making is definitely not as much as a sheriffs salary + benefits. Like was said before, this was all about income from the tickets.
But this means that SCPD can have less new hires and the Sheriff has justification for more officers.

I was into radio scanners a few years back. I actually heard a conversation in which SCPD refused assistance to the Sheriff's officers on LIE in a high speed chase. SCPD took over only after the person being chased took an exit.
 

·
The Sysop
Joined
·
36,800 Posts
I'm staying out of this one.

In the end, whomever can produce a cheaper budget wins.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top