Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I'm a newbie. Today I purchased my first firearm, a Beretta Nano 9mm.

Just wanted to extend my thanks to the staff @ HUNTER SPORTS in Massapequa. They were really professional and helpful in making my decision. I cant say much about the Beretta NANO for now, as I wont get to the range for a few days, and have some learning to do before I load it, but I'll post about that in the next few days.

Again, thank you Hunter Sports for being helpful and professional, without being snobbish or condescending AT ALL. I must also thank other shops that advised me: TNT Gunnery, Coliseum Gun Traders, Benson's Gun Shop, & Guns and Ammo of Bohemia.

I look foward to many years of contributing to this forum.

-Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pics added.

For a newbie, a few things drew me to the Nano. Its snag free. No external slide release. I compared it one last time to the Glock26, size wise, and I went with the smaller one.

Its in my pocket now, unloaded for now. For someone who's never carried a gun, its very comfy in my front jeans pocket.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Shoot safe, shoot straight.
& good luck w/it.

Dov

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, very nice handgun.  If you don't mind.  How much did you pay?  I was thinking about getting this pistol before I saw the CM9.  How does it feel?  i understand it's about 17oz unloaded.  Is it top heavy?  How is the trigger pull on the gun?  

·
Banned
594 Posts
[quote name='']pics added.

For a newbie, a few things drew me to the Nano. Its snag free. No external slide release. I compared it one last time to the Glock26, size wise, and I went with the smaller one.

Its in my pocket now, unloaded for now. For someone who's never carried a gun, its very comfy in my front jeans pocket.

[/quote]If you do carry, get the best training you can afford. Carrying a handgun is a big responsibility. The Kahr PM9 is an excellent choice for pocket carry in 9mm. Very accurate and reliable. Not knocking Hunter Sports, he does seem to steer people to Beretta.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
TTSkipper said:
Welcome to the forum and gun ownership. Please get a good pocket holster if you plan on carrying it in your pocket.
Ditto. Pick up a Nemesis or one of the others. Under $20 at most online sources which is a cheap investment considering the alternative.

·
Moved to Texas!!
2,260 Posts
Zyka said:
Not knocking Hunter Sports, he does seem to steer people to Beretta.
Hunter Sports did a good job steering me to the Smith and Wesson M&P line. ;D I'm now a S&W addict.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to address a few responses I received:

I agree that I have a lot to learn. I will get basic safety instruction from a few friends that are in LE. (Is there a good place to go for other training here on Long Island?)

As for price, I dont think its polite to discuss pricing openly on hobby-forums like this one, so I'll say that I spent less than the MSRP listed on Beretta's website, and was very satisified with the price. (i'm also a big believer in small business and customer service, so $$$ isnt always an issue for me.

I purchased a Remora pocket Holster and am very happy with it. it fits snugly, doesnt print, and has a trigger guard. I ordered a high-noon IWB last night, too..I'll let you know about that one.

I will admit that I steered myself toward the Beretta. I looked at the Glocks, Sigs, Kahr, and Luger...I considered J frame revolvers, and smaller caliber "pocket" guns. I originally thought I would purchase 2 firearms, but decided (or my wife did), that carrying a firearm meant there wouldnt be one "at home." I complied with her request. (smart move, trust me)

As for feel of the gun, I love it, but I cant say I've compared it to much, in the sense that I'm new to all of this. I think the grip is a little rough and my fingers have to get used to it, but it all depends on how "tight" I'll have to hold on to it...I'll get back to y'all on that.

-wnb

***just a side note.....I checked out the shooting range on 112 this am. While I didnt shoot, it seems like a nice range, and it might be the most conveinient for me.

·
Banned
594 Posts
[quote name='']Just wanted to address a few responses I received:

I agree that I have a lot to learn. I will get basic safety instruction from a few friends that are in LE. (Is there a good place to go for other training here on Long Island?)

I purchased a Remora pocket Holster and am very happy with it. it fits snugly, doesnt print, and has a trigger guard. I ordered a high-noon IWB last night, too..I'll let you know about that one.

I will admit that I steered myself toward the Beretta. I looked at the Glocks, Sigs, Kahr, and Luger...I considered J frame revolvers, and smaller caliber "pocket" guns. I originally thought I would purchase 2 firearms, but decided (or my wife did), that carrying a firearm meant there wouldnt be one "at home." I complied with her request. (smart move, trust me)

As for feel of the gun, I love it, but I cant say I've compared it to much, in the sense that I'm new to all of this. I think the grip is a little rough and my fingers have to get used to it, but it all depends on how "tight" I'll have to hold on to it...I'll get back to y'all on that.

-wnb

***just a side note.....I checked out the shooting range on 112 this am. While I didnt shoot, it seems like a nice range, and it might be the most conveinient for me.[/quote] I would encourage you to buy a safe for the weapon. The last thing is someone finding the unsecured weapon. Carrying a handgun is serious business. If the wife doesn't allow a handgun inside the home how did you get to convince her to say to the investigator it's ok for you to own a handgun?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zyka said:
I would encourage you to buy a safe for the weapon. The last thing is someone finding the unsecured weapon. Carrying a handgun is serious business. If the wife doesn't allow a handgun inside the home how did you get to convince her to say to the investigator it's ok for you to own a handgun?
I bought my safe months ago. The weapon is secure.

My wife doesnt love the idea of a firearm in the home with 2 small children, and I'm not thrilled about it either. In interest of my own privacy, I wont comment on my reasons for obtaining my license, but I can assure this forum that they are valid.

·
Banned
594 Posts
[quote name='']

I bought my safe months ago. The weapon is secure.

My wife doesnt love the idea of a firearm in the home with 2 small children, and I'm not thrilled about it either. In interest of my own privacy, I wont comment on my reasons for obtaining my license, but I can assure this forum that they are valid.[/quote] My interest is public safety... I have run into civilians who are inept and get jammed up for not knowing the basics in firearms. While you may have a valid license to carry, remember carrying a handgun is a big responsibility. Carrying it unloaded and not having the wifes permission to keep it at home is a recipe for disaster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.