Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go squirrel hunting in NY. I have a magazine fed Savage 22LR that holds 10 rounds.
Do I need to find a 5 round magazine to hunt with or can I only load 5 rounds in my 10 round magazine and be legit?

I know the thought of hunting these cute little creatures will irritate some - but I need to justify my hunting addiction with the wife and put something in the freezer. That first squirrel is going to have cost me at least $3,000. And I'll probably only see deer on this trip.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Squirrel is really good, not the one here on Long Island, but those one up in the woods that only eat nuts. I've had them many different ways. My favorite is boning the beast out after harvesting, brown the meat, mix in some tomato sauce, garlic, and onion, in the pan and put it on a hero roll. Fantastic. Season to taste.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
I'm anticipating seeing a few 10 pointers, a mature sow, a flock of giant turkeys and zero squirrels.

Because during deer season, the only thing I saw were squirrels. Except for those does that woke me up running 40 yards in front of me. Damn they can run fast!

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, am I GTG with my 10rd mag or do I need to find a 5rd mag?

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Borrow my 17 HMR. Shoot them in the eye at 100 yards
Thank you sir, but I'm pretty sure the king would require a transfer for that sort of activity

·
Registered
367 Posts
It is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:
•with any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, EXCEPT the following semi-automatic firearms:
1.firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition, or
2.firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or
3.autoloading pistols with a barrel length of less than eight inches.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if it wasnt for the idiot andy boy you could have a 30 rnd mag in a bolt gun for big or small game hunting
I'm hunting squirrel... if I can't it done in one shot, I'm taking up quilting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts