Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I visited Hunter Sports for the first time this past weekend. To be honest, I never knew it was a real store until I saw the banner. I always thought it was just people screwing up when they were trying to say Hunter Essentials. Well, I was there about noonish. The guy behind the counter was a guy I think his name was Jimmy (?). I got to tell you, this man has the patience of Job. There was one guy in there that was brand new to guns and was wanting to jump right into competitions. This guy was asking all sorts of questions, even as small as how to load the rifle he has owned for sometime. I would not have been able to be as patient with him as this guy was. I even picked up a couple of gun cleaning tips from him by listening in on the conversation. I walked out of there with my wallet lighter and a bag of various cleaning accessories and a few other little things. I spoke with him briefly and liked him almost right away. I have added Hunter to my SHORT list for shopping.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
I stopped in there only once when I had first gotten my pistol license. My only concern was the big dog putting his snout a little too close to my "jewels". I remember the countermen being nice, but the dog ... way too intimate to me.

·
Gun guru (poseur)
6,177 Posts
T.Webb said:
I stopped in there only once when I had first gotten my pistol license. My only concern was the big dog putting his snout a little too close to my "jewels". I remember the countermen being nice, but the dog ... way too intimate to me.
I wonder if they rotate dogs too? The one I've seen struck me as pretty mellow, and as I'm usually in there after dropping a cat off at the vet next door I must smell pretty amusing to a dog. Heck, it didn't seem to have the oomph to stand up.

OTOH, dogs will be dogs when it comes to scenting a new friend. :)

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dog had the day off the day I was there.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
The dog is great and very FRIENDLY.
Funny story mark tells. Trio of sketchy people walk in looking furtive. Two guys and a girl.
They separate, guys at one end of the counter. Girl out or earshot.
Dog homes in on guys and starts sniffing.
Marl leans over close and tells th girl that the dog is a DEA dog and with another customer who was in the store.
Trio scatters outthe door.

love that dog.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
That dog has been around forever. On weekends he's out at the skeet fields.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
+1 for hunter sports

·
Gun guru (poseur)
6,177 Posts
Recognizing that having an opinion about a gun shop on this board can be dangerous ;) let me venture the following. Hunter Sports has:

1) A big mushy dog
2) Grognards still arguing 30-06 vs. 5.56
3) A sales guy willing to disengage from the grognards to sell you a brick of .22

All they really need now is a pot-bellied stove.

G

·
To be honest, I liked the shop when it was in merrick better, Last vist was not good at all... maybe this young fellar should wear LIF hat to get some respect...

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did not wear any LIF gear. I did tell him I heard about him through the banner on LIF (plugged it for you, Steve so he knows the banner is driving customers to him) after talking with him and a couple of other customers for 20 minutes or so.

·
Moved to Texas!!
2,260 Posts
Mark has signed/stamped all my purchase documents for the past 10 months..  :) Good guy, good shop. +1.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
+1 For Mark and the guys ... My favorite place to shop ...

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
sicpup71 said:
Me 3. Hunter is on my very short list, with a few others

·
Me
711 Posts
Stopped by today, Mark and Jim and the dog were there. I only spent a few bucks and chatted a few minutes, but I'll tell you this, those guys treat me right, always a big hello and how are you.  When I left they both wished me a great weekend. It's the first place I go to buy guns and accessories.

G

·
Hunter said:
Stopped by today, Mark and Jim and the dog were there. I only spent a few bucks and chatted a few minutes, but I'll tell you this, those guys treat me right, always a big hello and how are you. When I left they both wished me a great weekend. It's the first place I go to buy guns and accessories.
is Jim the old guy that calls people sunny? and JR?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to like Hunter Sports, but last year one of the older gentlemen that work there really screwed me over, some lady walked in selling her husbands accessories, in particular a Leupold scope (I think it was a VX3L), the old man said he wasn't interested in anything used right now, so as she was walking toward the door I asked if she would sell it to me, she said "no problem" she would take anything reasonable, before I had a chance to speak the same old man grabbed it and gave her $200. As she walked out the door I said "you didn't want it and I was going to take it" his response was "well you can have it, $700 and it's yours." I walked out and the few times I have been back the same guy always gives me an attitude. For some reason it seems everytime I have been there he's the only guy that I see there, and god forbid I ask to see something I get the evil eye. So my 9 or so firearms since this incident were purchased elsewhere YOUR LOSS HUNTER SPORTS! COLLISEUM GUNS WAY NICER!
sorry all needed to vent a little about it and it seemed like a good place!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.