Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hearing Scheduled for H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

Friday, September 09, 2011

For months we have been reporting on a critically important bill: H.R. 822-the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. This vital NRA-backed legislation, introduced earlier this year by Congressmen Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) will enable millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states.

Thanks to much hard work and action taken by NRA and our members, H.R. 822 has now garnered 242 cosponsors in the U.S. House. On Tuesday, September 13, the House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security will hold a hearing on the bill.

There is currently only one state (Illinois) that has no clear legal way for individuals to carry concealed firearms for self-defense. Forty states have permit systems that make it possible for any law-abiding person to obtain a permit, while most of the others have discretionary permit systems. (Vermont has never required a permit.)

H.R. 822 would make a major step forward for gun owners' rights by significantly expanding where those permits are recognized.

Dozens of states have passed Right-to-Carry laws over the past 25 years because the right to self-defense does not end when one leaves home. However, interstate recognition of those permits is not uniform and creates great confusion and potential problems for travelers. While many states have broad reciprocity, others have very restrictive reciprocity laws. Still others deny recognition completely.

H.R. 822 would solve this problem by requiring that lawfully issued carry permits be recognized, while protecting the ability of the various states to determine the areas where carrying is prohibited within their boundaries. The bill would not create a federal licensing system, nor would it establish a minimum federal standard for the carry permit; rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize driver's licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced similar legislation since 1995.

To read our fact sheet on H.R. 822, please click here. And remember to watch this alert for updates!

·
12,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hearing Scheduled for H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

Friday, September 09, 2011

For months we have been reporting on a critically important bill: H.R. 822-the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. This vital NRA-backed legislation, introduced earlier this year by Congressmen Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) will enable millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states.

Thanks to much hard work and action taken by NRA and our members, H.R. 822 has now garnered 242 cosponsors in the U.S. House. On Tuesday, September 13, the House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security will hold a hearing on the bill.

There is currently only one state (Illinois) that has no clear legal way for individuals to carry concealed firearms for self-defense. Forty states have permit systems that make it possible for any law-abiding person to obtain a permit, while most of the others have discretionary permit systems. (Vermont has never required a permit.)

H.R. 822 would make a major step forward for gun owners' rights by significantly expanding where those permits are recognized.

Dozens of states have passed Right-to-Carry laws over the past 25 years because the right to self-defense does not end when one leaves home. However, interstate recognition of those permits is not uniform and creates great confusion and potential problems for travelers. While many states have broad reciprocity, others have very restrictive reciprocity laws. Still others deny recognition completely.

H.R. 822 would solve this problem by requiring that lawfully issued carry permits be recognized, while protecting the ability of the various states to determine the areas where carrying is prohibited within their boundaries. The bill would not create a federal licensing system, nor would it establish a minimum federal standard for the carry permit; rather, it would require the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize driver's licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced similar legislation since 1995.

To read our fact sheet on H.R. 822, please click here. And remember to watch this alert for updates!

·
Banned
1,494 Posts
i'm pretty sure i know how my congresswoman will vote on this bill.  and should it ever come up for a vote in the senate well......  what's that ole saying, "I HATE THIS LIBERAL SINKHOLE".  hope it passes though, if only to see the ny libtards sh*t themselves.....

·
Banned
1,494 Posts
i'm pretty sure i know how my congresswoman will vote on this bill.  and should it ever come up for a vote in the senate well......  what's that ole saying, "I HATE THIS LIBERAL SINKHOLE".  hope it passes though, if only to see the ny libtards sh*t themselves.....

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
What are the bill's prospects in the Senate?

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
What are the bill's prospects in the Senate?

·
12,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe this is a guaranteed "win" in the House. After all, the bill already has 242 co-sponsors.

Last time around, when the Senate was far more Liberal, it only lost by 1 vote. But a slightly more Conservative Senate doesn't necessarily mean a more pro 2A Senate. On the big plus side, Liberal Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid is extremely pro 2A (NRA top rated) so unless someone pressures him, I'm quite certain the full Senate will get to vote on this.

If the bill passes the full House and Senate, I highly doubt that the President would veto the bill with a tough election campaign on the horizon.

·
12,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe this is a guaranteed "win" in the House. After all, the bill already has 242 co-sponsors.

Last time around, when the Senate was far more Liberal, it only lost by 1 vote. But a slightly more Conservative Senate doesn't necessarily mean a more pro 2A Senate. On the big plus side, Liberal Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid is extremely pro 2A (NRA top rated) so unless someone pressures him, I'm quite certain the full Senate will get to vote on this.

If the bill passes the full House and Senate, I highly doubt that the President would veto the bill with a tough election campaign on the horizon.

·
Banned
1,494 Posts
T.Webb said:

betcha a beer he would.

·
Banned
1,494 Posts
T.Webb said:

betcha a beer he would.

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
bruzz123 said:
betcha a beer he would.
+1 his base Anti's are literally going bonkers that the AZ tragedy was not "exploited" adequately - (I went on the Huff Post to see the Anti's reaction of the Carson City shootings)

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
bruzz123 said:
betcha a beer he would.
+1 his base Anti's are literally going bonkers that the AZ tragedy was not "exploited" adequately - (I went on the Huff Post to see the Anti's reaction of the Carson City shootings)

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
bruzz123 said:
i'm pretty sure i know how my congresswoman will vote on this bill. and should it ever come up for a vote in the senate well...... what's that ole saying, "I HATE THIS LIBERAL SINKHOLE". hope it passes though, if only to see the ny libtards sh*t themselves.....
Yes... But did YOU CALL, write, email, fax, and let her know how YOU feel on this??? If she doesn't hear from the Pro 2A side, because they assume an anti-rights stance, she can honestly go and say "no one has said they want this, so I'll vote against it"

MUST call our reps, EVEN THE ANTIS!!!

If nothing else you can find entertainment in it! (I have so much fun educating screwmer's people...)

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
bruzz123 said:
i'm pretty sure i know how my congresswoman will vote on this bill. and should it ever come up for a vote in the senate well...... what's that ole saying, "I HATE THIS LIBERAL SINKHOLE". hope it passes though, if only to see the ny libtards sh*t themselves.....
Yes... But did YOU CALL, write, email, fax, and let her know how YOU feel on this??? If she doesn't hear from the Pro 2A side, because they assume an anti-rights stance, she can honestly go and say "no one has said they want this, so I'll vote against it"

If nothing else you can find entertainment in it! (I have so much fun educating screwmer's people...)

·
Banned
1,494 Posts
Parashooter said:

i hope you realize that my congresswoman is none other than carolyn mccarthy. she's the eff'n queen of the antis.

·
Banned
1,494 Posts
Parashooter said:

i hope you realize that my congresswoman is none other than carolyn mccarthy. she's the eff'n queen of the antis.

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
bruzz123 said:
All the more reason to call.. you may not get her to change her mind but you can make her think twice before trying to ram some other BS legislation down our throats. No resistance will embolden them...

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
bruzz123 said:
All the more reason to call.. you may not get her to change her mind but you can make her think twice before trying to ram some other BS legislation down our throats. No resistance will embolden them...

1 - 20 of 90 Posts