Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice to see someone in Hollywood making some sense.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/howie-mandel-u-s-handles-mental-health-crazy-article-1.2346317

and yes - it was published in the Daily News!!!!

"When we see things on the news (like) the shootings, we end up talking about gun control and not the person holding the gun," he told [email protected] "I'm not making a statement about gun control, but there's obviously a mental health issue that isn't being addressed and nobody is really talking about that."

Mandel says those who live on the coasts are living in fantasy land by thinking Middle America understands the issue of mental illness in the same way.
"I'd imagine people (in the heartland) go to a dentist more than they go to their therapist, and it's part of the curriculum to take care of your dental health more than your mental health," he said.

"It's really easy to say, 'You have to let me off early from my bank job to go to the dentist.' But if you say, 'You have to let me off at 3 p.m. to see my psychologist,' it wouldn't be taken with the same carefree attitude.'"

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
This mental health theme is not as altruistic as it seems. The democrats want to label as unfit for gun ownership anyone who as ever taken certain medications (including under a doctor's instructions), those having seen a psychological professional and veterans. Yes, there are those who should be institutionalized and thanks to the ACLU they roam our streets. And there are others who present a threat to themselves and others. But... the broad brush with which the democrats are attempting to paint large segments of our society as unfit has nothing to do with health or safety. Feel stress for any reason? Go to your doctor and take a pill. Then you can forget about ever owning a firearm. They can label just about anyone if given the chance. And none of it will address the person who "out of the blue" snaps and starts shooting.
The only thing we can do is be armed and try to limit the damage if the situation presents itself.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
This is why I'd want a determination to be made by a judge with an appeal process. No "mental health professional" BS.

If somebody's gonna take away a right I want it to be a judge or judges.

Paul

I still say to tread caefully on the topic of mental illness and guns.

Too easy to expand the "official" umbrella of what a mental illness is to cover anyone.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts

Too easy to expand the "official" umbrella of what a mental illness is to cover anyone.
If you are mentally unfit to own a gun you are unfit to drive, unfit to vote, and unfit to be loose among society.
You do not need a gun to harm yourself or others.
Singling out guns is more of blaming the instrument instead of the person. it is also ineffectual.
As is most liberal solutions

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts

Wasn't there a thread here recently where someone was trying to classify belief in God as a mental illness?

Oh, look, the Liberal Bible goes along with that theory:

Huffington Post: Religion & Mental Health: New Study Links Belief In 'Punitive God' To Emotional Problems

Read it for yourself, I won't waste my time or the server space by quoting the whole mess.

Reactions: Aquabach

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
If you are mentally unfit to own a gun you are unfit to drive, unfit to vote, and unfit to be loose among society.
You do not need a gun to harm yourself or others.
Singling out guns is more of blaming the instrument instead of the person. it is also ineffectual.
As is most liberal solutions
I used that same argument recently with "mental health professional".

She said driving and voting are totally different than a gun.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Wasn't there a thread here recently where someone was trying to classify belief in God as a mental illness?

Oh, look, the Liberal Bible goes along with that theory:

Huffington Post: Religion & Mental Health: New Study Links Belief In 'Punitive God' To Emotional Problems

Read it for yourself, I won't waste my time or the server space by quoting the whole mess.
Liberals love to insult those with religious belief saying "your invisible friend in the sky who you talk to but never talks back".

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
This is why I'd want a determination to be made by a judge with an appeal process. No "mental health professional" BS.

If somebody's gonna take away a right I want it to be a judge or judges.

Paul
That is the only way a right should be taken away. Through the court.
Rights are not granted. That's why they are called rights.
To restrict your rights demands due process

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
I used that same argument recently with "mental health professional".

She said driving and voting are totally different than a gun.
She's only half right.
Driving is a privlage anfd not a right so it can be easily restricted by the government.
Voting and gun ownership are rights and not different at all.

If she can't see that she has a mental deficiency herself.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
She's only half right.
Driving is a privlage anfd not a right so it can be easily restricted by the government.
Voting and gun ownership are rights and not different at all.

If she can't see that she has a mental deficiency herself.
I disagree, many courts including the Supreme Court have ruled that driving is a persons right... Look up coach vs chicago

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
But he does have a point its not the gun its the individual, and he most likely has mental health issues. We don't blame the car for a DWI death we blame the driver who was drunk

Reactions: mikeyravioli

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But he does have a point its not the gun its the individual, and he most likely has mental health issues. We don't blame the car for a DWI death we blame the driver who was drunk
My point was it was refreshing to see this coming from a Hollywood type.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The tooth brush was definitely invented in the South. Wanna know how I know for sure? If it was invented in the North it would have been called a teeth brush.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.