Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All..
I was thinking of buying a new .308. Im mostly going to punch paper but I would also like to be able to use it for hunting. Im leaning towards the heavy barrel bolt guns so I dont have to take 10 minute breaks after every 3 shots.
Anyway.. I came across this gun and I wanted to run this by you guys for some feedback. Does anyone have one of these or know much about it? The price is pretty reasonable I think.

Thanks in advance..

http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa_hogue20hvy.html

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I've owned the lightweight .308 and the standard .223, both were great guns. They used to make the 1500 for weatherby (they might still), who would import it and sell it for a high cost. Howa realized they could import them and sell them for cheaper while getting a better price than what they got from Weatherby, so they did. The importer, Legacy Arms, puts them in pillar bedded Hogue stocks and sells them, but if you buy the action separate, you can spend a little more and order the full bed stock from Hogue which is a bit better.

More or less, it's like a Japanese take on the Remington 700. That might sound blasphemous, but when you compare Japanese manufacturing to the sad state of affairs here, it actually might be better.

All that said, you'd be just as well off with a Savage... They just aren't as pretty.

·
Temp. self-imposed ban.
4,410 Posts
Mad Russian said:
Good rifle, but don't forget that its 8.5 pounds (without ammo) that you will have to slog with in the woods.
What is your .308, btw? I want to be like Mad Russian when I grow up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Savage Model 10 FCP - priced well, best versatile 308 bolt action ive shot and shortly thereafter owned. only 308 bolt rifle that pushed me to sell my heavy barrel remington 700.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
General.rr said:
What is your .308, btw? I want to be like Mad Russian when I grow up.
I have two:
Savage Stevens in a polymer stock with a 4-9x40. About 7 pounds with scope and three rounds. This is the one I slogged through the woods with when I found an ammo feeding problem with the Marlin .30-30.

Savage 12FVSS: stainless steel action and varmint profile barrel with a 6-16x42 scope. Its still in its factory stock, but have been meaning to put it into a Choate Varmint stock which would make it about 12 pounds all up with bipod, before I add weights to the stock. Every time I mean to order the stock something good comes up here....sigh...

·
Iconoclast
537 Posts
Have a Howa 1500 in .243 - decent shooter although the rubber stock is lacking in aesthetics.
Going to be selling it; I only bought it when I found two boxes of .243 ammo in one of the safes, and now they're gone…

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.