Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
SUPER STAR
5,479 Posts
Rifles are obvious

What about handguns? Do I need to FFL them to myself? They are my property and if I am legal in NY and legal in my final destanation, can I just take them with me and mail my pistol license back with a copy of my new drivers license and call it a day?

I don't see why not....leaving NY, still own my home here, valid drivers license and valid pistol license. Going to my new home in FL....I already have a FL address, a FL concealed weapons license and I'll be switching my drivers license the day after I arrive.

What say you guys?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Not certain here. If Florida doesnt require you to register said handguns, then I would say adios to NY and take them with me, same as my livingroom set. Its my property.
As for mailing back your license, i would definitely sent it Registed mail with a letter stating you no longer reside in NY and are surrendering said license.
Jmho. Im not a lawyer, so dont take my words as gospel. These are just my views on the subject

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I remember a story on here about someone who moved out of NY and took their legally owned and registered handguns with them. When they got to their new state, they called the PLB and told them about their change of address. The PLB said something about you are not allowed to leave the state with your pistols and the owner replied, something like OK, come and get them. I thought that was pretty funny.
Edit to include: not sure if technically legal, but still pretty funny.

·
Sharp Shooter!
1,219 Posts
I packed everything in the back of my Hyndai Touring. Made the typical motel stops. Did not leave weapons in the vehicle overnight. When I got to Florida I called the Suffolk County Sheriffs Office. Told them me and the guns are out of NY. Told me to destroy the Pistol Permit and they will notify Albany.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
If you don't notify them and you keep the NY permit those weapons are still under the jurisdiction of NY.
Really? Hows that?
Are they going to come to my new state and take my guns?

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
MyBrother had a Suffolk license, He loaded up his car and moved to NC.... He called the PLB and advised them..He said they told him congratulations on the new job and good luck....He took the 7 hour safety class for a full carry SC license. ..

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Rifles are obvious

What about handguns? Do I need to FFL them to myself? They are my property and if I am legal in NY and legal in my final destanation, can I just take them with me and mail my pistol license back with a copy of my new drivers license and call it a day?

I don't see why not....leaving NY, still own my home here, valid drivers license and valid pistol license. Going to my new home in FL....I already have a FL address, a FL concealed weapons licesne and I'll be switching my drivers license the day after I arrive.

What say you guys?
I just packed everything into the moving truck, including hand guns.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
If you don't notify them and you keep the NY permit those weapons are still under the jurisdiction of NY.
Someone has been hitting the bottle early. He has no plans to return with the firearms to this state. They have no authority outside of ny state and cant do poop about it. FOPA allows the transfer as long as he is legally able to own the firearm in the beginning state and end state. I would just try to stay as little time in NJ as possible. As for buying new guns it should be the same process.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.