Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sharp Shooter!
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had ordered a pistol April 10th at campsite sport shop and the guy who ordered for me said it would be here the following wednesday or thursday latest. After not receiving any call, I tried calling thursday and friday and they said its in the system as ordered but hasnt come in yet. Its now tuesday of the following week and still nothing. Is this normal for pistol orders? He said there was a bunch in the warehouse and he would order one in. I've ordered rifles from other stores and they usually had the gun in the same week. Getting antsy over here, especially after waiting 6 and a half months for the license to come around. :)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Longest I have waited was 2 weeks, for a long gun. Sometimes they get the run-around from suppliers, and they in turn have to pass that along to you. It should not be long now, they run a pretty tight ship over there.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
If you put no deposit on the gun, I would go over to Hunter Essentials. Bruce takes generally a few days. He didn't have the Glock in stock the way I wanted it and he ordered it Wednesday and called me as soon as the UPS truck left Friday morning.

·
Sharp Shooter!
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doc T said:
Longest I have waited was 2 weeks, for a long gun. Sometimes they get the run-around from suppliers, and they in turn have to pass that along to you. It should not be long now, they run a pretty tight ship over there.
Thanks, I really like them over there and I figured its not really their fault. They are all very helpful. Just sucks since this friday is the only time I can get back to the pistol bureau before the purchase document expires.

[quote name='']If you put no deposit on the gun, I would go over to Hunter Essentials. Bruce takes generally a few days. He didn't have the Glock in stock the way I wanted it and he ordered it Wednesday and called me as soon as the UPS truck left Friday morning. [/quote]

Yeah I already put a deposit down. :/

BTW, where is Hunter Essentials? I'm putting a bunch of gun stores in my GPS for future reference.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hunter Essentials
900 Willis Avenue
Albertson, NY
516-741-5243

Approx 1 mi south of the Northern State on the east side (north bound) of Willis Avenue.

Good idea to call ahead and check with Bruce to see if he will be in the shop as his hours do vary some.

·
Sharp Shooter!
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FrankL631 said:
Hunter Essentials
900 Willis Avenue
Albertson, NY
516-741-5243

Approx 1 mi south of the Northern State on the east side (north bound) of Willis Avenue.

Good idea to call ahead and check with Bruce to see if he will be in the shop as his hours do vary some.
Thanks friend! 8)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I waited over a month for a gun ordered at Campsite last month but I don't blame them for the delay. It was a Beretta and apparently Beretta is a little slow in delivery. In my case the gun needed a cobis round fired and Beretta only ships those out in batches. I was dealing with Johnathan at Campsite and I have to say he bent over backwards to hurry the process along and to keep me pacified. So, yes there can be delays, but it's not always the store's fault-sometimes there are things beyond their control.

Edit: I have ordered other guns from Campsite that arrived in a week or less-that is more typical.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The firearms business is both fickle and cyclical on the manufacturing end, like most businesses interested in making a profit these days. However, the difference is that firearms manufacturing is somewhat complex, involves numerous precision operations, and the value-added cost is high. Makers do not want scads of inventory laying around not sold, due to lack of demand, when other in-demand items are being sought. There is a finite amount of production capacity at the plant.

So most manufacturers do production runs of a particular model, then move onto something else, before doing another production run of that same model at some future date. What that date is will be based on existing orders, availability of raw materials, demand for other more profitable items, etc. Once your desired item gets produced, it gets sent out to jobbers and/or wholesalers, who have their own priorities as far as distribution. Foreign-made firearms are an additional complication - the import compliances are much stricter post-9/11 and in any event the time delay between production, shipping, customs clearance and release to the US representative is unable to be predicted.

In other words, if you ordered a gun that was produced 6 months ago, is sold out, and is not slated to be produced/imported/available for another 3 months, you are behind the eight-ball.

Beretta - for the 35 years that I have been buying guns - has been notorious for doing things on at it's own Italian pace and schedule: in the manner of most Euro-businesses, the consumer waits until the manufacturer is ready to deliver, and then scrambles to get their hands on scarce goods, increasing the price and pleasing everyone but the consumer. All of which is not in sync with the American way of meeting consumer demand in the shortest time possible.

And absolutely none of this is controlled or influenced by the local dealer.

A spot market exists for new guns, but the price paid by the dealer will be higher than he normally would pay. This increased cost would normally be passed on to some degree to the retail purchaser. Are you willing to pay MORE to get it NOW?

Campsite is a very large stocking dealer by Long Island standards and if they cannot obtain an item AT A FAIR PRICE YOU WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY, then it is doubtful anyone else would be able to either. Another dealer might have your particular model in stock, and so it would be available immediately.

Given the insanity of how SCPD PLS issues purchase documents, I would never obtain one without first having the particular pistol I wanted "in hand" at my dealer. As for right now, you could shop around to see if your gun was in stock somewhere, and if so ask Campsite for your deposit back if they have not paid out monies to order it. They surely would accommodate you under the circumstances, they are a VERY fair business that wants you to come back. OR, you could pick another gun to buy - there are so many good choices that I would not sit it out waiting for a Beretta Unobtanium Model. OR, you could return the purchase document unused, and go get another one when you Beretta finally arrives.

The choice, as they say, is yours.

You could pick

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lionheart said:
Thanks friend! 8)
My pleasure - happy to be of assistance whenever possible.

Just a note re: Campsite, I have ordered or waited for accessories or long guns to arrive, and to echo the words of others responding to your query, the fault would be on the part of the mfr / supplier. A good example would be the post above referencing Beretta, as Beretta is presently very busy working on the new M9 contract / order for our Armed Forces. Shawn, Jonathan, Doug, any of the guys @ Campsite will always do everything possible to get you what you need as soon as possible, but invariably there can and may be delays from the mfr. Campsite knows how to keep the customer satisfied by standing by the products they sell, and fair and honest dealing with the customer, so I expect that ultimately, you will not be dissapointed(even if delayed).

I will also say that dealing with Bruce @ Hunter Essentials is also a true pleasure and he has also shown a great spirit of customer service and bent over backwards for the LIF forum members that have dealt with him, both with group buys and individual purchases. I personally did very well with Bruce, and I look forward to visiting Bruce again soon!

Best of luck, and safe shooting.

·
Sharp Shooter!
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, perhaps I spoke too soon earlier. Shaun from campsite called me at 4:59pm as I was leaving work haha. Just got home with my first pistol!

Apparently the guy they go to for COBIS testing was on his honeymoon and that was what caused the delay. ;D Great guys over there. New pistol is a beauty. Taurus PT1911 in stainless steel.

Will definitely shop there again. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Lionheart said:
Thanks guys, perhaps I spoke too soon earlier. Shaun from campsite called me at 4:59pm as I was leaving work haha. Just got home with my first pistol!

Apparently the guy they go to for COBIS testing was on his honeymoon and that was what caused the delay. ;D Great guys over there. New pistol is a beauty. Taurus PT1911 in stainless steel.

Will definitely shop there again. Highly recommended.
Shawn is a good guy. Glad it worked out! See you at the Range!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Congratulations on your first gun.

The 1911 is a great way to start. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Congrats, and happy shooting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.