Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be taking a ride to Pa. and Upstate on my motorcylce in the near future. The rules are clear for auto transport, but it not clear on motorcycles.  How does someone transport a legally owned, register, and licenced handgun form NY to Pa going through NJ?  Does a backpack consist of a seperate compartment or the same as a brief case and treated as CC? The Latter I would image. Does it make a difference even when it's unloaded, in a locked container in a backpack on your motorcylce? What to do with your magazines and ammo? And yes you wouldn't leave it on the motorcylce, unattended, which brings you back to CC again. Which brings up refueling issues, are the fuel stops on the NJT considered part if the Federal Interstate? If I use I80 or I78 and exit to refuel, I'm definitely not on the Interstate any longer and NJ is not a handgun CCW friendly state. :wow Questions and gray areas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll be taking a ride to Pa. and Upstate on my motorcylce in the near future. The rules are clear for auto transport, but it not clear on motorcycles.  How does someone transport a legally owned, register, and licenced handgun form NY to Pa going through NJ?  Does a backpack consist of a seperate compartment or the same as a brief case and treated as CC? The Latter I would image. Does it make a difference even when it's unloaded, in a locked container in a backpack on your motorcylce? What to do with your magazines and ammo? And yes you wouldn't leave it on the motorcylce, unattended, which brings you back to CC again. Which brings up refueling issues, are the fuel stops on the NJT considered part if the Federal Interstate? If I use I80 or I78 and exit to refuel, I'm definitely not on the Interstate any longer and NJ is not a handgun CCW friendly state. :wow Questions and gray areas.
 

·
Now an Ex NYer
Joined
·
24,861 Posts
The following is my opinion only, and represents no legal opinion, just long time observation

Ride should be no problem, if in locked container with empty mags and ammo separate. Continuous trip where you are legal where you start and legal where you finish and you have done your due diligence to obey the law. Problem is - NJ doesn't care about law, they make their own. Probably better in saddlebag (It is part of the vehicle) but don't leave bike unattended. Interstate, Schminterstate, that part doesn't matter. You would probably have no problem in your trip, as you are legal and are not announcing to the world that you are (legally) transporting firearms, but again, NJ actively prosecutes those legally exercising their rights, the Constitution be damned.
 

·
Now an Ex NYer
Joined
·
24,861 Posts
The following is my opinion only, and represents no legal opinion, just long time observation

Ride should be no problem, if in locked container with empty mags and ammo separate. Continuous trip where you are legal where you start and legal where you finish and you have done your due diligence to obey the law. Problem is - NJ doesn't care about law, they make their own. Probably better in saddlebag (It is part of the vehicle) but don't leave bike unattended. Interstate, Schminterstate, that part doesn't matter. You would probably have no problem in your trip, as you are legal and are not announcing to the world that you are (legally) transporting firearms, but again, NJ actively prosecutes those legally exercising their rights, the Constitution be damned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
NRATC53 said:
The following is my opinion only, and represents no legal opinion, just long time observation

Ride should be no problem, if in locked container with empty mags and ammo separate. Continuous trip where you are legal where you start and legal where you finish and you have done your due diligence to obey the law. Problem is - NJ doesn't care about law, they make their own. Probably better in saddlebag (It is part of the vehicle) but don't leave bike unattended. Interstate, Schminterstate, that part doesn't matter. You would probably have no problem in your trip, as you are legal and are not announcing to the world that you are (legally) transporting firearms, but again, NJ actively prosecutes those legally exercising their rights, the Constitution be damned.
That does sound as accurate as an interpretation of the law should be. Be he's also right that the rules are written in pencil for Jersey. Follow the rules of the road and you should be fine.
New Jersey is the armpit of the East Coast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
NRATC53 said:
The following is my opinion only, and represents no legal opinion, just long time observation

Ride should be no problem, if in locked container with empty mags and ammo separate. Continuous trip where you are legal where you start and legal where you finish and you have done your due diligence to obey the law. Problem is - NJ doesn't care about law, they make their own. Probably better in saddlebag (It is part of the vehicle) but don't leave bike unattended. Interstate, Schminterstate, that part doesn't matter. You would probably have no problem in your trip, as you are legal and are not announcing to the world that you are (legally) transporting firearms, but again, NJ actively prosecutes those legally exercising their rights, the Constitution be damned.
That does sound as accurate as an interpretation of the law should be. Be he's also right that the rules are written in pencil for Jersey. Follow the rules of the road and you should be fine.
New Jersey is the armpit of the East Coast.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
Why did you not ask about driving through nyc? you have the same problem!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
Why did you not ask about driving through nyc? you have the same problem!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
This is my opinion only....

I would leave the ammo home, have a trigger lock, or cable lock on the gun in a saddlebag if you had one....then just pick up the ammo when you get to your destination.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
This is my opinion only....

I would leave the ammo home, have a trigger lock, or cable lock on the gun in a saddlebag if you had one....then just pick up the ammo when you get to your destination.
 

·
115:5
Joined
·
4,036 Posts
Whenever I would go upstate on the bike with guns, Id take the ferry and go through CT.
Then again, it was less about the guns and more about the city traffic.
 

·
115:5
Joined
·
4,036 Posts
Whenever I would go upstate on the bike with guns, Id take the ferry and go through CT.
Then again, it was less about the guns and more about the city traffic.
 

·
Tactical Shrubbery!!
Joined
·
3,802 Posts
IRWFO -RIP- said:
So that's why it stinks so bad when I cross the border.
Easy easy.......... You got a Jersey born and raised guy here. 90% of Jersey is Beautiful, it's the other 10% attached to NY that stinks. Trust me I've lived in both almost the same amount of time. All of the garbage coming from this great state has to go somewhere.............
 

·
Tactical Shrubbery!!
Joined
·
3,802 Posts
IRWFO -RIP- said:
So that's why it stinks so bad when I cross the border.
Easy easy.......... You got a Jersey born and raised guy here. 90% of Jersey is Beautiful, it's the other 10% attached to NY that stinks. Trust me I've lived in both almost the same amount of time. All of the garbage coming from this great state has to go somewhere.............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
Hahahaha. I agree.

The only parts of Jersey people talk about are the areas close to Staten Island and Manhattan.

Go a little further in or South. Jersey is nice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
Hahahaha. I agree.

The only parts of Jersey people talk about are the areas close to Staten Island and Manhattan.

Go a little further in or South. Jersey is nice!
 

·
115:5
Joined
·
4,036 Posts
Merlin said:
Go a little further in or South. Jersey is nice!
Jersey looks great from South Carolina. ;)

Like the NYC skyline. It's pretty from a distance and the farther away the distance, the better it looks.
But then I think anything west of my house is too close to the city.
 

·
115:5
Joined
·
4,036 Posts
Merlin said:
Go a little further in or South. Jersey is nice!
Jersey looks great from South Carolina. ;)

Like the NYC skyline. It's pretty from a distance and the farther away the distance, the better it looks.
But then I think anything west of my house is too close to the city.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top